Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmisson blown! VT Commodore

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore 1993, VT Commodore 1997
well after spending $500 on inlet manifold gaskets, service items, rotors and brakes you know just getting my girlfriends VT running absoloutely beautiful it has decided to blow the transmission, i was only under it last week replacing the diff and tailshaft as well :(:(

basicly reverse has blown, and it wont change out of 1st it just screams begging for another gear :(:(

ive been quoted $250 from the wreckers for a 2nd hand unit.
$1100 for a reconditioned one from a workshop here in lonsdale if i bring the unit in $1100 if not $1600

another small workshop quoted me $500 if i bring my unit in and hell reco it.

Basicly does anyone know a good workshop anywhere in adelaide that will do me a fair price on a reconditioning my transmission if i take it into them? im keen on this bloke for $500 but i just dont know if he will carry out all the right work, he offers 3 months warranty with his gear box's and says he will help even after the warranty runs out... but i dunno lol.

or do you think screw the reco trans just pop a 2nd hand unit in for $250 and still get the 3 months warranty?

cheers guys

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Go the secondhand option and get it serviced. If his willing to help after warranty has run out why doesn't he make the warranty for a longer period? Sound to cheap to be legitimate.

PJDM1980

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
Go the secondhand option and get it serviced. If his willing to help after warranty has run out why doesn't he make the warranty for a longer period? Sound to cheap to be legitimate.

PJDM1980

yeah true i didnt think about that! i reckon ill just get the wreckers one then for $250, do you think just dropping the pan and changing the filter and gasket will be a good enough service for it?

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Should be ok I guess as long as you empty the converter as well.

PJDM1980

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
how do you empty the converter? i thought unless you flush the transmission the best way was to just drop the pan and empty the fluid and change the filter & gasket?

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Flip it upside down in a bucket, from what I understand when the trans shops flush your trans they just undo the cooler lines and run clean fluid in till the old fluid is pumped out.

PJDM1980

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
well after spending $500 on inlet manifold gaskets, service items, rotors and brakes you know just getting my girlfriends VT running absoloutely beautiful it has decided to blow the transmission, i was only under it last week replacing the diff and tailshaft as well :(:(

basicly reverse has blown, and it wont change out of 1st it just screams begging for another gear :(:(

$1100 for a reconditioned one from a workshop here in lonsdale if i bring the unit in $1100 if not $1600

Basicly does anyone know a good workshop anywhere in adelaide that will do me a fair price on a reconditioning my transmission if i take it into them? im keen on this bloke for $500 but i just dont know if he will carry out all the right work, he offers 3 months warranty with his gear box's and says he will help even after the warranty runs out... but i dunno lol.

or do you think screw the reco trans just pop a 2nd hand unit in for $250 and still get the 3 months warranty?

cheers guys

Try JRM transmissions morphettvale - he does good work at reasonable price

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S

cheers guys

That sound's like a good deal.
In the long run, I think it will be cheaper doing it this way.

With a second hand unit, You really don't know how long you'll get out of it.
But with reco, You should be right for 200k.

If you have a pretty tight budget, Then go used.
But, If you can spair the extra 250, Then go reco.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
im keen on the reco but im just unsure if this bloke will rebuild it properly... im tempted to ring him or go down there and ask him exactly what he carrys out on his gearbox's. it worrys me there is only a 3 month warranty also.

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
im keen on the reco but im just unsure if this bloke will rebuild it properly... im tempted to ring him or go down there and ask him exactly what he carrys out on his gearbox's. it worrys me there is only a 3 month warranty also.

Yeah true, You would think atleast 12 month.
I do know, About 4-5 year's ago, another company brought out a cheaper 4l60e rebuild kit.
Since then, 4l60e rebuild cost has gone down a bit due to the cheaper kit.

But, It's worth giving him a call, See what the deal is.
Even if it's not a complete rebuild, Just the important stuff like bearing's and clutches.
If that's the case, It may still be worth the extra $$ over a unknown wrecker's box.

Just have to give him a call, See exactly what he will replace, And work it out from there.