Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY V6 Sedan, whats fuel pump like to change?

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
ive got a stuffed fuel pump on my VY, whats it like to change?? ive never done one. what do you do? just remove the 3 straps form the tank and lower it and pull the pump out and chuck a new one in?
any tricks to it??

fluxxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S1
ive got a stuffed fuel pump on my VY, whats it like to change?? ive never done one. what do you do? just remove the 3 straps form the tank and lower it and pull the pump out and chuck a new one in?
any tricks to it??

yeh thats basically it. before disconnecting anything and removing the tank you need to relieve the fuel pressure. undo the filler cap, take the fuel relay out and then run the engine till it dies.

once youve got the tank out, theres a locking ring that needs to be turned to get the pump out. be careful with the fuel sender mechanism which is attached to the pump, if it is damaged in any way the fuel gauge wont be very accurate anymore.

matt.

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
cool, mondays job, lucky ive got LPG else i would be stuffed. these bloody pumps cost $284, what a rip.

Farlig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Clubsport
if u plan on doing power upgrades in the future, might b a good idea to get maybe a walbro hiflow pump instead.. u'l most likely find them to be cheaper than the stock part :)

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
i'll look into it but i not doing and upgrading. stock as a rock for me.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
thats for the whole unit, pump, fuel gauge sender, etc. I've seen just the pump itself on e-bay for less than $100 but I don't know how good they are. I think most mechanics replace the whole thing and these are also on e-bay, Delphi brand which I think are the OEM manufacturer anyway. I know the genuine fuel pump I bought for my old VN a year ago was a Delphi.