Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fault code P00016 and P00018

Ckirkhoff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute S3
So I got my "Check Drivetrain" light in my dash. Went to the mechanic and he put his scanner on it. It returned with:

P0016 - Crankshaft / Intake Camshaft Position Not Plausible Bank 1

And

P0018 - Crankshaft / Intake Camshaft Position Not Plausible Bank 2

He said that it may just be the Crank angle sensors.
Have anyone in here had these code come up and is it the cam chain that is on its way out.
The car sounds and drives fine and I haven't heard any bad noises that I remember from when my motorbikes can chain tensioner died.

What do you guys think? Any ideas?

Thank you in advance. :)

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Could just be sensors, but by the looks of it there may be too much slack in the timing chain. Does the car drive alright? Miss fire at all?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
It will be the chains for sure. Just had those codes on a VE ute engine change. Same exact codes. Chains set has been ordered.

Ckirkhoff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute S3
Thanks guys...
Yeah car drive fine... No noises, no misfiring and no problem starting it.
Guess that is why he wanted to replace the sensor first.
But just don't wanna spend $400 to replace the sensor if I then are up for the cam chain afterwards.

88GreenVN... How are doing your cam chains?
Or anyone who knows a good place to get them done in Sydney?
:)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It would be the chains.

I did hear another forum member say something about a possible warranty issue with these chains but I can't find the thread.

Ckirkhoff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute S3
Yeah I think I saw something about warranty issue as well, but they ended up giving him a 30% discount and he had to have it done at Holden for $3000. So the warranty is hardly worth chasing, especially because my car is 7+ years old with 140.000 km on it. Lol...
Thanks for the feedback guys. It sounds like I will have to start saving. :-/
Anyone in Sydney who had their cam chains done and was happy with cost and service from a workshop?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Hey dude how did u go with this? I just got those codes today exact same codes.. guy said it could be sensors should i replace the sensors or it is definitely the chain.. for me i refuse to believe its the chain seeing as the car has only done 37,893ks and i bought it in 08.. its a 07 model though. Its hardly ever been driven seeing as i work close enough to walk.. i feel let down especially if its the chain when the car is hardly driven. 38000ks in 6years pretty good if u ask me. So angry right now.

maybe get the codes cleared and see if they come back - it may have just had a bad day. but it also can be part of the bad batch of chains and tensioners. :(