Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ engine making rattle noises

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ sv6
Hi all,
Not particularly mechanically minded but hopefully my post won't seem too blonde :) I just bought a 2nd hand 2004 model VZ commodore this week. The engine is making a noisy rattling sound. Sounds more like there's a diesel motor under the hood. It has 121000k's on the clock. Most of the services were done according to the log book but not all. Last one was recorded at 103000. Car still drives fine and sound isn't present when first started until you drive it for a lil bit so I guess the sound happens once the motor is warm. When the sound starts, I park and turn the engine off then back on again and the sound is gone until I begin to drive the car again. The check oil light also comes on randomly. Dipstick reads that oil is full. I bought the car from a dealership with extended 3 yr warranty so it won't cost me but I do hope it's repairable as I really like the car. Any ideas on what it might be? Cheers

D

Don123

19000 Ks without a change of oil is far too long. Sounds like the oil turn to sludge.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ sv6
The dealership assure me they did a service while they had it but when I checked the oil, it was quite black in colour.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ sv6
Yea, that's what I figured too. It goes into my local mechanic on Tuesday for a look, the dealer will either pay for repair or give me a replacement car. Not a happy camper though, lot of messing around in the meantime. Note to self, don't buy a Holden from a Ford dealer? ha ha

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Or...the motor is so badly internally sludged that simply draining oil wasnt enough to get rid of the old deposits. Which have in turn discoloured the oil.

chriso-k

Motor Mechanic, SYDNEY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
If the "check oil light" comes on, this car is clearly suffering from oil pressure problems. Quite possibly from a partially blocked oil pick up. This is likely from either lack of oil changes or, wrong grade of oil being used throughout the car's life. Expensive fix, however, your warranty should cover this. The car dealership will hate you!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ sv6
Ha, that's the chance they took when the previous owner traded it in with them I guess. I had a young mechanic friend have a listen and he said oil pressure problems probably due to sludge also. He works at the place that will be looking at it on Tuesday. It's a real shame when people don't take care of these nice cars! Glad I got the 3 yr extended warranty with it. Sad for the car though if the cost of repair is too high, they might turn it into spare parts :unsure:

D

Don123

I hope that your warranty will be honored, usually the "extended warranty" is not worth the paper it is written on. good luck and let us know the results.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Hi all,
Not particularly mechanically minded but hopefully my post won't seem too blonde :) I just bought a 2nd hand 2004 model VZ commodore this week. The engine is making a noisy rattling sound. Sounds more like there's a diesel motor under the hood. It has 121000k's on the clock. Most of the services were done according to the log book but not all. Last one was recorded at 103000. Car still drives fine and sound isn't present when first started until you drive it for a lil bit so I guess the sound happens once the motor is warm. When the sound starts, I park and turn the engine off then back on again and the sound is gone until I begin to drive the car again. The check oil light also comes on randomly. Dipstick reads that oil is full. I bought the car from a dealership with extended 3 yr warranty so it won't cost me but I do hope it's repairable as I really like the car. Any ideas on what it might be? Cheers

Good news - regardless of your 3 year extended warranty, you are more than likely covered under Queensland Statutory Warranty. More information about Queensland Statutory warranty HERE. Go get 'em, tiger.

Last edited: