Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Abs fault

Mikey1993

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Hey guys I bought a Vz 5.7l ss ute about two months ago and Iv begun getting an abs fault registering while driving. It's steadily becoming more frequent. Abs light will flash for a second then read abs fault and the entire dash cluster will drop to zero for about 10 seconds, all while driving. It pretty random dose it at all speeds wether I'm speeding up or slowing down. I read on another forum it could be a bad battery ect ect, but I tested that and it's punching out a solid 14.4v. Anyone had a similar issue before?

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
I occasionally get an ABS error as I turn the car on. But I never get one while driving. I thought cars ran at 12v? So maybe 14.4v is a tad high? But don't take my word for it, I don't know enough. Just a thought.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
regulator, battery and abs module followed by the actual sensors are the most common faults.

Duc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Crewman 5.7l
I got the same problem with my 2005 VZ Crewman 5.7l. I changed the 2 front wheel sensors, changed the ABS module, then changed the alternator (the previous one is only put 13.9V when idling or driving), the new one is 14.2V-14.3V. However, the ABS still pops up every now and then. Sometime it's fine for driving about 20min, then pops up, sometimes it pops up since starting the car... I don't know how to do, please anyone help me. Also, I took my car for scanned, it came out no error codes, but the scanner (Snap on) from mechanic shop showed that ABS signals lost. The cleared it and asked my to drive again, if it still pops off, then they have to find the reason.... I got really 'sick' of that....
Now I plan to flush the brake fluid, I noted that my brake fluid reservoir cap is very loose, don't know is it alright or not. Also my brake fluid is blue (light blue) but the fluid I bought is clear with some light amber and that is Super DOT 4. not sure the shop used what kind of brake fluid, now can anyone help me with that?
1. is the cap loosed normal?
2. can I flush and change the brake fluid with difference colour as I worried that the ABS, if the fluid can not be flushed totally from ABS,so it still blue colour and in the brake hose is clear amber colour?
3. any precautions should I take as I will do it myself: flush the brake fluid with ABS system?

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Try cleaning the battery terminals..boil the kettle remove the neg then the positive leads,pour boiling water over the terminals and leads CAREFULLY!!! avoiding any electronics, car parts...... and your feet ;) . give the lead clamps insides and terminals a good scrub with course sand paper, then a bit of grease on both....see if that works..
I know it sounds simple but after mths of random abs faults..I did the above and its been fine for about 2mths now.....touch wood