Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 3.6 won't start first crank when cold

joechef

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz 3.6 acclaim
Hi, VZ 3.6, 195ks won't start first crank when cold.It's like it is choking or not enough fuel getting to injectors.
Lately it is taking 4 cranking cycles to start.Autolec and mechs are scratching their heads.New battery,plugs.
Can anyone help with a positive fix.Thanks,Joe

ThunderVZ0410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ute Thunder S
Try replace fuel filter, only cost around $30 for filter from Holden

Auke Fischer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Had the same. Holden had the car for a week on the test bench $500 later no result. 6 months later I got a mobile mechanic look at it. He disconnected the feel line. Showed me the colour of the fuel and explained it has gone off and kept on contaminating any new fuel that was added I do not use shell primium anrmore! ! Just regular 91 .I did remove and clean the fuel tank to get rid of the bug. Hope it helps.

joechef

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz 3.6 acclaim
Hi,done that,no result.This morning I put key in,turned on ignition lights but did not start.Held finger on end of key and pushed it in to
make contact with slip ring for about 20 secs and then cranked it.Away it went first time.Will try again when cold and let you know.
Being new to this site I have sent you same message as before,please ignore,Joe

supercharged-ride

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 Alloytec190
Held finger on end of key and pushed it in to
make contact with slip ring for about 20 secs and then cranked it.

Is that with the ignition on prior to cranking?
If so (and i am no expert) it sounds like the pump is on its way out, as in giving the pump more time to prime prior to starting
Thats my thoughts only thow

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Also try to disconnect the battery for 30min to reset the fuel trims and see if it helps during the next cold start.

If it does, you might have a false rich condition, which makes the ECU think it needs to lean the mixture, so you lose the cold start enrichment effects.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Have seen cases where the drainback valve fails which means it has to repressurise the whole fuel feed line before it starts. Turn the key on-pause-off-on-pause-off-on-pause-off-on-pause-off before starting it to isolate (it runs the fuel pump for a short period when you first turn the key on). If it starts straight away every time when you do this it needs a new MRA (fuel pump/sender) assembly.

joechef

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz 3.6 acclaim
Hi all,have tried battery disconnect,fuel pump pressure check.Car is on dual fuel and have turned it back to
petrol before shut down.This is 4th day in a row it has started ok by turning ignition on and pushing key into
steering column,holding for 20 secs then cranking.Could be battery in key or slip ring.Will keep chasing,thanx