Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replaced alternator in VP 5 litre but battery light still on

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Ok guys, I bought a new alternator to replace the original one and the battery light is still on.

Voltmeter at the battery says ~ 12V.

Anyway of checking the actual alternator itself to see if its putting out the correct juice?

Grounds look ok to me as well.

:confused:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
was it new new or secondhand is the big red wire to the battery from the alternator in good condition

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
whats the volts at running? should be ~14V's... 12 at rest...

aZk.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
maybe you bought a dud if its got the battery light before starting theres power getting to the alt from the light to trigger it only leaves the 2 wires that goto the battery from the alternator as culprets or the alt itself test the big red one to the main pole on the alt to the battery with a multimeter dissconnect the battery and check its ohms from the + bat cable to the alternator post same with the other little one in the reg plug they should both goto the bat + the second little wire comes from the dash light with the battery on it

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
maybe you bought a dud if its got the battery light before starting theres power getting to the alt from the light to trigger it only leaves the 2 wires that goto the battery from the alternator as culprets or the alt itself test the big red one to the main pole on the alt to the battery with a multimeter dissconnect the battery and check its ohms from the + bat cable to the alternator post same with the other little one in the reg plug they should both goto the bat + the second little wire comes from the dash light with the battery on it

Thanks for that, will do.

I detect shenanigans - my interior lights aren't working! And they were working before I replaced the alternator.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
checked the fusible link near the battery? thats blown on me. i think tr3nt had similar problems. i told him to check the fusible link, but he checked everything else instead, and guess what the problem turned out to be

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi stocky, is this what you are talking about?

Attachments

• DSC00670.JPG
    DSC00670.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 8,338

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
nah see the brown wire coming off the positive terminal? with the black plug on it. its about 2 inches long. take that off, and check continuity on it. if its got none, replace it

actually, is that what your brown wire plugs into? that black one? from memory mine goes directly to the voltage regulator on the alternator. mine looks different