Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replaced alternator in VP 5 litre but battery light still on

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Calais is go!

Went to Repco and Supershit auto, both said they don't sell the fusible links.

Went to Holden, no longer in service/supply.

Went to auto elec, he made up a new section of cable with the fusible link and terminal for $20.

Plugged it in and works sweet.

Starts strongly and runs smooth, and no more lazy hot starts from what I can see, something which is common in the 5 litre.

Even though it probably didn't need a new alternator, replacing the existing 15 year old unit made a noticeable difference.

Thanks for the help guys.

I may have to look into this for the lazy hot starts on my 5.0L :)

Now with it all working what does the trip computer voltage read now? My VN 5.0 sits at between 13.8 and 14 v from memory in diag mode.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
I may have to look into this for the lazy hot starts on my 5.0L :)

Now with it all working what does the trip computer voltage read now? My VN 5.0 sits at between 13.8 and 14 v from memory in diag mode.

Battery at rest with multimeter reads 12.57V.

Battery when idling with multimeter reads 13.48V-13.55V.

ECU when idling reads 13.4V-13.5V

ECU when I give it some revs reads 13.9V-14.0V.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Battery at rest with multimeter reads 12.57V.

Battery when idling with multimeter reads 13.48V-13.55V.

ECU when idling reads 13.4V-13.5V

ECU when I give it some revs reads 13.9V-14.0V.

So the new link improved the volts at idle and when cranking the starter. Sounds like a plan to me... One new link cumming up..

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Well,

Drove it all weekend, covered a couple of hundred km's in it and it didn't miss a beat.

New alternator and fusible link also got rid of a engine miss that I used to get when sitting at the lights with the aircon on, or when the car was warm.

Made a noticeable difference in acceleration and fuel consumption too, got it onto the highway and got a lowest all time figure of 10 L/100km average before I went into traffic. Even still, my final figure was 11.5 L/100km, which is quite good.

Dissy cap, rotor button, new plugs and coil are next.

vn50L

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt seriesII XU6
Came on here today to find a solution for this exact problem. After replacing that fusable linkage, car started first kick, no battery ight and battery went from 11.89 with engine running to 14.66. Also solved some strange misfiring problems that i'd been having and car now idles better as well.

amazing what 3 inches of wire can accomplish. cheers for the thread and the in depth discussion people. One less opportunity for a mechanic to anally intrude me.

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
nah see the brown wire coming off the positive terminal? with the black plug on it. its about 2 inches long. take that off, and check continuity on it. if its got none, replace it

actually, is that what your brown wire plugs into? that black one? from memory mine goes directly to the voltage regulator on the alternator. mine looks different
Hey mate
Do you know where to find this fuseable link for alternator vt v6
I found a brown and purple wire connecter undone that car wouldn't start(alternator light coming on)
But i couldn't find a fuse
Thanks for your help