Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cadillac Catera vs VT Commodore

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The same basic Opel shell was used for a number of markets. In the UK, it was the Vauxhall Omega, which had a considerably different front and rear end design, like the Opel (also called Omega, I think). The Catera was not built by Holden and sent to the US - it was either US built, or European and exported.

All markets used the same body centre shells and turret, so those parts would probably interchange. The front and rear end designs were alterd for each market. The interiors also differed considerably. When I was in the UK in 2000, I visited a Vauxhall dealership to look over the Omega.

The door trims had very straight and angular shaped armrests and door-pulls - nothing like ours at all and the dash design was also totally different. Engines were Opel fours, straight sixes and diesels. Transmissions would also have been Opel - 5 speed manuals but don't know about the autos. As our VT 5 speeds were Getrags, which are German, you could assume thay were also used in the European cars.

Doors and glass would be the only adaptable body parts for a Holden, and perhaps other minor items. Tbe Ecotech would have differed because of differing emissions standards but would probably be interchangeable. Not sure about transmissions - being a Cadillac, the Catera might have had something a bit better than the Holden. Generally, the VT was a very heavily modified and adapted Opel Omega, designed for the Australian market with a view to export as well.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
It is based on the Opel platform, not the VT Commodore. Well actually its basically just a rebadged Opel Omega. If you check the wheelbase and width are considerably smaller than a VT Commodores.

For the record it was made in Germany by Opel, then rebadged and sent to the US.

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
Its built on the VT platform. Same as they did with the Pontiac GTO....
Australia exports the car and the yanks modify it to their standards.

you took the time to write something that is common knowledge - like i didnt already know.
i was saying what it LOOKED like - wasnt saying i was stupid and didnt know what it was.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
It is based on the Opel platform, not the VT Commodore. Well actually its basically just a rebadged Opel Omega. If you check the wheelbase and width are considerably smaller than a VT Commodores.

For the record it was made in Germany by Opel, then rebadged and sent to the US.

No, the VT wasn't another Magna exercise where the body was widened for Australia - it didn't have to be as the basic shell was already large enough. The basic body structure was unchanged in dimension regardless of market.

As per your suggestion - Vauxhall Omega Length 4900 mm - VT, 4884
Omega Width 1790mm - VT, 1842
Omega Wheelbase 2740mm, VT, 2731.

The additional 52mm width could be accounted for by the design of the exterior mirrors. It is not a sufficient increase in width to have justified the cost of completely new floor, firewall and turret pressings. The other dimensional differences would be accounted for by the different styling used between the Omega and the Commodore.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
The extra length on the front and rear of the omega was because it had a very VP type front and rear bumper - that hung out a good 20mm longer.

Don't mean to be rude and correct you, But the wheelbase was 2788mm VT.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The extra length on the front and rear of the omega was because it had a very VP type front and rear bumper - that hung out a good 20mm longer.

Don't mean to be rude and correct you, But the wheelbase was 2788mm VT.

Interesting - I got the dimensions from a site on the net. Ah well....

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
From your source.... Did it mention anything about the engine mount offset?

Are the engine mounts the same as the VT?

I wouldnt think so - the engines used in the Vauxhalls were not used out here. The adaptation of the Ecotech to the Commodore was unilquely Australian, I think. Other markets had a 3800 motor but I'm pretty sure it was a much more modern design.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
No, the VT wasn't another Magna exercise where the body was widened for Australia - it didn't have to be as the basic shell was already large enough. The basic body structure was unchanged in dimension regardless of market.

As per your suggestion - Vauxhall Omega Length 4900 mm - VT, 4884
Omega Width 1790mm - VT, 1842
Omega Wheelbase 2740mm, VT, 2731.

The additional 52mm width could be accounted for by the design of the exterior mirrors. It is not a sufficient increase in width to have justified the cost of completely new floor, firewall and turret pressings. The other dimensional differences would be accounted for by the different styling used between the Omega and the Commodore.

Most sources state "The basis for the car was the 1995 Opel Omega GM2800 platform, it being redesigned to suit, in turn making the Commodore both wider and longer (wheelbase), and more importantly significantly stronger"

For a start, the firewall is definitely different as the VT used a development of the VN's bonded firewall unlike the Omega design. The engine bay was also widened to suit a small block V8 unlike the Omega.

The VT program did cost $600 million after all.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Interesting - I got the dimensions from a site on the net. Ah well....
Hey never trust them:D, Always trust the manual:D.
The VT program did cost $600 million after all.
Holden's quote was, It was easier to just build it themselves then to use a modified version of the omega or import one for local conditions...

I think the dimensions on the VT are all wrong. Today i parked next to a VE calais. I took shots from front and rear, And the VT looked longer.