Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hoons front page sunday mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
All you need is some money for goverment built club run skid pan, the drag strip to open, the majority of the problem would be gone like it is here where we have both (And I bet we have the lowest rate of hoon fines in the State by faaaaaaar). I totaly agree with Stealthy on the hoon law, if it was a 3 month lockup first offence I would try running too first time and if it was a car crushing situation I would have no option but to run until I crashed the car myself.

However about the track, it took the local club near on 20 years to save up enough money to build a track so it's a long term goal

I don't do illegal stuff on the road, i drive to work, then drive home. Suggest a power tripping cop tried to confiscate my car under the 'hoon laws', then i'd gladly run.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
I wouldn't list 'hooning' in the category of punishment not fitting the crime. All the rest you mentioned are piss weak. I could drop the clutch around a corner, and suffer a higher penalty than someone who has driven while drunk 11 times! Not once, not twice, ELEVEN times.

On this point we may be in agreeance, I don't believe there needs to be a separate category for hooning. Speeding is speeding, racing is racing, reckless driving is reckless driving.

Either way, my opinion is still the same. Some (note, not all) of the people I hear of going on those cruises would love a track, and suggest one was open, they'd use it. Which is why the laws are stupid. IF they had somewhere legal to go, it would leave the people who never had any intentions of doing things legally, and then the law can deal with them :)

While that may well be true, how do you establish that because people go to a track, that they won't break the law back on the road?

The people with the restraint not to act up on the street in the first place aren't the problem.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
On this point we may be in agreeance, I don't believe there needs to be a separate category for hooning. Speeding is speeding, racing is racing, reckless driving is reckless driving.

While that may well be true, how do you establish that because people go to a track, that they won't break the law back on the road?

The people with the restraint not to act up on the street in the first place aren't the problem.

I would say that a large percentage of people that race at my local track break the "law" on backroads (not the almost dedicated drag cars but the street cars sure), however you don't get caught on backroads. You get caught in the main street and no one goes silly there anymore since the burnout pad and track were built. There's two different kind of hoons, those that enjoy showing off, they find their dream at the burnout pad in front of 1,500 people on Friday nights and cutting slow times with epic wheelspin on the track. Then there are the guys that race the clock and don't care who sees them. These guys are either out in the middle of no where testing or racing down the track on Friday/Saturday. So while there is still "law" (current dodgy laws:) ) breaking going on it's no longer visible, dangerous or catchable

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride

And there'd be no excuses for that. Currently tho, there is an excuse, 'where can i go to legally do burnouts and drag race?'

Keep in mind, 99% of motorist have broken a law at one stage. I bet theres only a small percentage that actually get caught

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
We used to have access to a paddock which had the leftover concrete foundations of a house on it, privately owned... Those were the days! Cops would line up along the highway and just watch, they only ever interfered if the wind direction dragged the smoke over highway one, and it'd just be a 'please stop until the wind changes'.

Apparently Dirt Circuit SA are in the motions of laying down a pad here in Port Augusta (not that it's coming along too quickly) at the dirt circuit track, so between Whyalla, Pirie, and here running regular events, people might indeed have somewhere to release some steam for a small fee and the petrol to get them there.

It'd be nice to see this sort of stuff done in a controlled environment, every time a 'party' like the one in the video is busted, the tightening grip of the law is felt all over the countryside. Cops will go on a rampage defecting everything that isn't a Hyundai Getz (well, you know what I mean), so it won't look like they're doing nothing about the problem.

Does anyone know if or when AIR is due to re-open?

timmy01.8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS 235 Cammed 305rwkw
Haha

LOL Block off the roads and use CB radio's it sounds xactly the same as Fast and the furious these reporters need to get there facts straight before talking s*&$ in papers. NO CAR CRUISE uses road blocks to stop traffic going through specially on a hwy like pt wakefield.

Second they say about cars beeping there horns and applying the brakes hard and having to swirve to miss a car in the middle of circle work i was there two cars went past and none had to slow down as no car was on the road at the time...

Oh and you news reporters you need to get your sight checked coz you say we always some how know when i car or truck is comming maybe because you can see miles along that straight stretch of road

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
And there'd be no excuses for that. Currently tho, there is an excuse, 'where can i go to legally do burnouts and drag race?'

How is that any more of an excuse that it would be an excuse for me murdering people?? If it's illegal to do where you are, and you don't have a place to do it - don't do it! It really, really is that simple.

If you know it's illegal and you still decide to do it then you deserve every bit of punishment you receive when you get caught.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
How is that any more of an excuse that it would be an excuse for me murdering people?? If it's illegal to do where you are, and you don't have a place to do it - don't do it! It really, really is that simple.

If you know it's illegal and you still decide to do it then you deserve every bit of punishment you receive when you get caught.

Its illegal to murder people. Full stop, no ifs or buts.
Burnouts are legal when not done on public roads.

Lets compare it to shooting a gun. Quite legal at a shooting range. Suggest the ranges didn't exist, and people went around shooting in their back yard. Obviously illegal, but with nowhere legal to do it, do you expect anything less.

You have to adapt to changing social climate. More and more people like having fun in their cars, so it only makes sense to provide a place to do it.

Edit, also, forgive my wording. Its not an Excuse. It doesn't excuse what the person does. BUT, it is a reason why they did it!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I really think it's fair to say South Australia's problem is lack of venues. Ever since I was a teenager I noted that there were more fast cars and "hoons" across the border as soon as you hit Mount Gambier than there is in Vic, It's allways been like that, it's the major culture of the state (we all know the poor buggers have nothing else to live for :) ). Why a state whos youth allways have grown up with a car fetish have got no place to legally race near the capital city is beyond me. If you are going to change the laws to stiffin then penalties for burnouts and sideways action on the street then you surely better make alternative arragments for where this can be done. You can't change peoples desires overnight, that takes generations to forget

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I really think it's fair to say South Australia's problem is lack of venues. Ever since I was a teenager I noted that there were more fast cars and "hoons" across the border as soon as you hit Mount Gambier than there is in Vic, It's allways been like that, it's the major culture of the state (we all know the poor buggers have nothing else to live for :) ). Why a state whos youth allways have grown up with a car fetish have got no place to legally race near the capital city is beyond me. If you are going to change the laws to stiffin then penalties for burnouts and sideways action on the street then you surely better make alternative arragments for where this can be done. You can't change peoples desires overnight, that takes generations to forget

Thats basically what i was getting at, you just worded it better :)

Status
Not open for further replies.