Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrades for turbo cars

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Good luck getting two mufflers under them. Most japanese cars are built and designed with ONE rear muffler. And there is only space enough in the floor plan for such a setup. Most of the time, they all bolt together in a few sections. so changing the muffler is easy enough.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
oh okay. my mate has an r33 skyline and another mate a sss pulsar all designed stock with 2 mufflers?

southy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Suzuki Swift GTI
I probably wouldnt go with 2 mufflers, maybe just a fairly beefy hot dog and a good muffler should be good.

And if you dont wanna go crazy just do the simple things, like better spark, better intake piping, better exhaust (obvious) etc.. All the small things add up!

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
my mates has a r34 skyline, hes got a K&N pod filter on it, jap speed front mount intercooler (wants to replace with a HKS), HKS atmospheric blow off valve (illegal i know) and a HKS cat back exhaust and it goes pretty good..gives SS and XR8 a run for there money. The exhaust is a 3inch with a 3 1/2 in tip on it and no drone what so ever sounds pretty nice..his next step is to get his mate at the shop to build a custom turbo to cat pipe and then get it tuned, which it needs badly..spits above 5500rpm at the moment. like has been said though..bigger intercooler, exhaust and wind the boost up and go have some fun..

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
Boost controller too, get your turbo high flowed and rebuilt, new seals and whatnot

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
my mates has a r34 skyline, hes got a K&N pod filter on it, jap speed front mount intercooler (wants to replace with a HKS), HKS atmospheric blow off valve (illegal i know) and a HKS cat back exhaust and it goes pretty good..gives SS and XR8 a run for there money. The exhaust is a 3inch with a 3 1/2 in tip on it and no drone what so ever sounds pretty nice..his next step is to get his mate at the shop to build a custom turbo to cat pipe and then get it tuned, which it needs badly..spits above 5500rpm at the moment. like has been said though..bigger intercooler, exhaust and wind the boost up and go have some fun..

Shouldnt an r34gtst beat an xr8 or ss with a few mods?

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
you'd be surprised how much $$$ you have to put into jap cars to get them going.

i'd send MR Plow on here a pm cos he used to have a 180sx with the sr20det, i know he rebuilt and was making some reasonable power

Low_VX_Taxi

Blanned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blundstone boots
If your keeping the stock turbo you could always have it rebuilt steel wheeled and high flowed, this will give a little bit of a power increase and ensure reliability, especially considering the car is second hand.

But if you want a guaranteed power increase there is one tried and tested method: Bigger turbo.

Me personally I prefer two faster spooling small turbos for daily applications.... but I havent heard of many people doing this with the sr20.

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
Shouldnt an r34gtst beat an xr8 or ss with a few mods?

yeh mate, like i said it needs a tune bad..meaning he needs to buy a boost controller and he only want HKS which is 450 bucks or something then its a grand to tune..R34's get detuned when imported and only run the claimed 8 pound stock boost at 6000rpm so realistically (sp?) he only gets 4-5 pound at 4-5000rpm and it doesnt start boosting till 3200 or something.