Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Locksmith Questions

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S1
Hey, guys. I've been a locksmith for almost 10 years now and have seen a lot of misinformation regarding commodore ignitions, locks and keys, even on this forum.

Just want to give you guys a chance to ask any questions and am more than happy to clear a few things up.

Just don't ask about breaking in or anything like that. Not gonna help anyone steal a car.

Rossbx

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VS Commodore Equipe Sedan
Cool, a locksmith!! :yahoo:
I have just bought a VS Commodore Equipe sedan and the key blade is loose in the head. Is there any way of tightening it up so it is firm? I have tried tightening the screws but it wasn't successful. Also, can the battery be replaced or would I have to buy a complete new head?
Thanks,
Rossco

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
I have just bought a VS Commodore Equipe sedan and the key blade is loose in the head. Is there any way of tightening it up so it is firm? I have tried tightening the screws but it wasn't successful. Also, can the battery be replaced or would I have to buy a complete new head?
Thanks,
Rossco

easy fix mate, take the key piece out of the head and rub the end thats goes in the head with some emery clothboth side just a light rub reassemble, works 9/10 times

VZ SV6

2005 VZ SV6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 190kw & VZ Acclaim
I've had to completely replace at least two of my VZ keys, due to flat battery or some other malfunction. I have been told that the VZ tri-button keys cannot have the battery changed, as they are hardwired into the head unit. This has costed me $139 each time for a completely new key. Does this sound right?

I also have an issue with one of the new VZ keys which was copied from the key issued with the car on purchase. I get two openings out of the car before it ceases to work. I have to open the car manually, and then recode the key using the ignition start procedure. This resets the key, which works fine before another two openings, and then failure again.
My local locksmith has stated two things:
1. He has admitted that there is a fault with their machine which has caused some keys to not be programmed correctly.
2. Cutting a key from a copy of an original key can cause issues with the cars computer, which identifies one key, but then locks the other key out eventually thinking it is an unauthorised copy.

What is your opinion? It is costing me a fortune to replace these keys, and luckily I have retained my receipts to claim warranty.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S1
Thanks,
Rossco

Could just be the screws are stripped and need to be replaced, or the plastic in the head cracks. Try the screws first before you replace the head.

The battery can be replaced, if you have the time and inclination, but the key head is not designed to come apart, and the battery is soldered in. Once you've done it the key will never be the same again. Usually best just to replace the head. Less hassles.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S1
I've had to completely replace at least two of my VZ keys, due to flat battery or some other malfunction. I have been told that the VZ tri-button keys cannot have the battery changed, as they are hardwired into the head unit. This has costed me $139 each time for a completely new key. Does this sound right?

I also have an issue with one of the new VZ keys which was copied from the key issued with the car on purchase. I get two openings out of the car before it ceases to work. I have to open the car manually, and then recode the key using the ignition start procedure. This resets the key, which works fine before another two openings, and then failure again.
My local locksmith has stated two things:
1. He has admitted that there is a fault with their machine which has caused some keys to not be programmed correctly.
2. Cutting a key from a copy of an original key can cause issues with the cars computer, which identifies one key, but then locks the other key out eventually thinking it is an unauthorised copy.

What is your opinion? It is costing me a fortune to replace these keys, and luckily I have retained my receipts to claim warranty.

Thanks.

That price sounds about right. Seen the price range from 95 to 150.

With the key head it sounds like he is using a Yazaki or Com-code module to program the key. I have found in my experience that anything VX or above will have this problem unless the key is programmed with an on-board programmer. I have always used an on board and never had any trouble.

In regards to #2, you need to introduce the key to the car first. You do this by
1. Open the car with your old key.
2. Insert the new key into the ignition and turn to ON. NOT START!
3. Wait 5-10 seconds
4. Remove key and turn 180 degrees
5. Insert key and start car.

VZ SV6

2005 VZ SV6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 190kw & VZ Acclaim
In regards to #2 said:
Yes I have done this several times with all the other keys I have bought for my VZ's, but this is the first time that anything like this has happened.

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
Hey guys im also a locksmith, haven been one for as long as "Puppet The Sock Carcass" but have been specializing in automotive work. but i don't want you to think that im trying to hijack your thread im keen to learn as much new stuff as possibly.

With the way you said to introduce keys is a lil different to the way i was taught-
I was shown this way-
1: open car manually with new key
2: put key in ignition
3: start the car
4: let it idle for approx 20 seconds
5: turn off, get out of car
6: close door an try the buttons

as in the above post it seems that you have to keys programed to the same number an they are conflicting each other, an issue that we have at work when we use our RW4, but apparently there new update is ment to prevent this from happening. Programed both keys from the one supplied an when we go out to the car one works fine, then we introduce the second key an all works good but the first key no longer works,, we got a new machine now were we can pick the key numbers.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S1
Hey shane, you guys have an AD100 or similiar? We have found that using that to introduce the keys works 100% of the time.

Just curious what your new machine is? be handy since we do close to 20 holdens a week. Still using an old RW3 with the 4 upgrade

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
Hey shane, you guys have an AD100 or similiar? We have found that using that to introduce the keys works 100% of the time.

Just curious what your new machine is? be handy since we do close to 20 holdens a week. Still using an old RW3 with the 4 upgrade

Ill double check at work on Tuesday, cos i got a 3 day weekend an ill check what the new machine is but i think it is the ad100. its setup so you can manually program keys an the key numbers to prevent conflicts

Last edited: