Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn stalling at idle

vnv6 wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6 commodore wagon
hi guys i tried to post this thread and no one wrote on it so im trying again my vn keeps stalling at roundabouts,lights and just when im gearing down to stop any ideas what could be wrong???

sik_dose

Hybrids. Cars for fools.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais Turbo, VZ SV6
what else does it do? can it idle at all? do you service it? have you replaced anything on it latly?

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
I think your describing the same thing i got, turning aircon on makes it worse? Ive put it down to the IAC but everytime im near the wreckers i forget i need to get one :p

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
sounds like base idle is to low , common on series 1 vn's

vnv6 wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6 commodore wagon
yeh i do service it it does idle but wen i gear down to a roundabout it will stall sometimes when i try to start it again it wont start and all i can smell is fuel although not the fuel pump it seems to be working fine??? weird huh

and to mischa that does make sence but i took all my aircon out because it was stuffed and was draining my battery.

vnv6 wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6 commodore wagon
oh and i have put some new stuff on lately ... i did a heart transplant and put a vr series 2 motor in it about 200 km's ago

jamiepasslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Series 1 S-Pack
hi guys i tried to post this thread and no one wrote on it so im trying again my vn keeps stalling at roundabouts,lights and just when im gearing down to stop any ideas what could be wrong???

Sounds like the best start is to clean the carbon out of the throttle body & where the throttle butterfly sits and adjust the base idle.

COTTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais 3800
does it do it when your braking

vnv6 wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6 commodore wagon
yeh it does actueally do it when im braking and also how do i adjust the base idle i thoought it was all done by computer.

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
My base idle is fine, and yeah it is done by computer hence me thinking the IAC is stuffed.

Cause sometimes when i do come to the stop I see the revs drop to 500 then slowly go back up as if some sort of value was being ajusted :p Thats when it dosent stall.

Dose it like stalling more when you turn into a driveway with your foot on the clutch? The extra load of the PS dose that.