Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Random stalling issue with vn 304

lb9

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VN
I have replaced the relay with another one but issue persists

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I assume that by now you have cleaned all the contacts involved with contact cleaner.

Faulty ignition switch?

Maybe keep a multimeter in the car and try to isolate the fault next time it stops.

lb9

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VN
yes all contacts have been cleaned. not that they are old anyway, engine conversion has been done in the last couple of months.

system doesn't use a generic ignition switch. its all on a switch panel but engine management is powered from a second battery. nothing loses power when the stalling happens, and it will start straight back up again. it makes me think it could be the HES again? ive gone though 2 brand new distributors with the same issue but stranger things have happened

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I assume that you've checked all components, including the distributors are suitable for use with your engine management system. Note the quality of some aftermarket distributors is pretty terrible.
Some harnesses have an extra brown wire from the brown wire connecting the coil _ve terminal to the ignition module-it's used for factory testing and if it contacts earth it will kill the ignition. In a VP/VQ this spare lead is located behind the front left strut tower.

lb9

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VN
one of the distributors I got through Repco, and the one that's in it now is an RAE. I swapped the gear on it since I've heard the composite ones tend to shatter. I'll look for an extra brown wire on the neg terminal but I don't think there is one

lb9

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VN
Guys I found the issue and thought I would post it here in case anyone else somehow encounters it. The Haltech Gm sport ecu's have a component on the motherboard which contains a part called a 'poly fuse' which is a rare problem but is known to fail, causing the motor to stall without any warning, and won't show in any logs. Haltech replaced it with a re-designed module and vualla. no more stalling.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Guys I found the issue and thought I would post it here in case anyone else somehow encounters it. The Haltech Gm sport ecu's have a component on the motherboard which contains a part called a 'poly fuse' which is a rare problem but is known to fail, causing the motor to stall without any warning, and won't show in any logs. Haltech replaced it with a re-designed module and vualla. no more stalling.
Thanks for this update. It’s nice to get an outcome after issue.

I am getting worried however with the amount of failures I am seeing with the GM sport after we started using one.

lb9

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VN
unfortunately, since most of them are all old stock now, (more than 15 years old) all the issues are starting to arise. Haltech support here in Australia are awesome and are super easy to deal with and they cover this issue under warranty no matter the age of the ecu. I had the Ecu back within a week sending it to and from Sydney and was assured that any other issues would be covered aswell.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
The fix may be to upgrade the polyfuse as Waeco car fridges use a polyfuse that gives trouble as well.
Apparently the fuse was under-rated for the task and as heat is generated within the fuse, it increases the resistance within the fuse.
Perhaps swapping the fuse for a standard fuse might help?
Would need someone to be a guinea pig though...

lb9

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VN
being someone who works in IT I did in fact pull it apart and have a look to see if I could sort out a fix myself. the poly fuse itself lives inside a small module on the motherboard underneath a little heat sink and it looks like nothing I have ever seen before. It's a specific part that only Haltech make and you can't buy them online anywhere or from haltech.