Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oh S%@t moment...

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
So today I was on my way home in a VY just purchased and picked up this afternoon, going around a round about the driver in front of me hits his breaks to give way to a car (when his in the round about). Following close by is me and i hit him, not massive damage but enough to scrape a fair bit a of paint off the front bar against his tow bar.

We both pulled over, he says its my fault because i hit him from behind which is correct I believe but, is that still the case when he stops in the middle of a round about to give way to cars when they should be giving way to him?

Haven't got insurance on the VY yet, was on the todo list tonight once I got home (i know, silly move) but in 5 years of driving I never thought this would happen on 1 day I would be driving this car home!

We did exchange details, I have his insurance company details, name, phone & address visa versa as well for him.

Anyone enlighten me?

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
the driver in front of you is a d**khead for stopping in the middle of a roundabout, but i suppose it is still your fault for driving into him. Much like if you go arounda roundabout near a set of traffic lights and they are red, traffic can sometimes build up on the roundabout and you may have to slam on your breaks unaware that cars are parked on the other side of the roundabout. Same kinda situation i guess, but i guess if you wanna make a case of it, maybe talk to higher ups and get him to pay for dmanage and to be at fault. Don't quote me on any of that and i hope my paragraph made sense lol

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah go figure, on that. I thought that was be the case. His an old fella so I tried not to sound crude or anything and just asked him why he stopped where he did, he just said i thought i'd give way to the car because traffic was moving slowly the direction on his exit - which I have done before so i have no objection to this just more to why the sudden slam on the breaks just took me by surprise. Doh! moment i guess :)

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
That sucks mate.

Unfortunately, this is a reason why you should keep a safe distance between yourself and the car in front. Call it a "stupid random **** the other driver might do" buffer.

So you are in the wrong. Doesn't matter if the other driver did something stupid, he's within his right to perform an emergency brake at any time and it's upto the driver behind him to maintain a safe stopping distance.

The really silly thing is that you didn't have the car insured! Scratch that, it's not silly, it's illegal!

I organise insurance for my car's the moment the previous owner hands me the keys.

This is where it might hurt your hip-pocket because even small hits can have serious underlying damage that you can't see cosmetically.

I wish you luck with it, and hope you take away 2 lessons from this:

1. All driver on the roads are idiots, give them enough room so they can do stupid things without you getting caught up in it.
2. Make sure you're driving an insured car at all times, saves alot of hassle.

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
That sucks mate.

Unfortunately, this is a reason why you should keep a safe distance between yourself and the car in front. Call it a "stupid random **** the other driver might do" buffer.

So you are in the wrong. Doesn't matter if the other driver did something stupid, he's within his right to perform an emergency brake at any time and it's upto the driver behind him to maintain a safe stopping distance.

The really silly thing is that you didn't have the car insured! Scratch that, it's not silly, it's illegal!

I organise insurance for my car's the moment the previous owner hands me the keys.

This is where it might hurt your hip-pocket because even small hits can have serious underlying damage that you can't see cosmetically.

I wish you luck with it, and hope you take away 2 lessons from this:

1. All driver on the roads are idiots, give them enough room so they can do stupid things without you getting caught up in it.
2. Make sure you're driving an insured car at all times, saves alot of hassle.

Yep +1, I think this was a more a vent post than anything else ^ ^

Cunningstunter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
As a motorcycle racer/rider I couldn't agree with this more. The best advice I got when I first started out on the roads (after 15yrs dirt experience) was 'Treat EVERY vehicle as though they're out to kill you' > ride paranoid basically....this motto has saved MY LIFE sooooo many times........

Depends if we're talking 3rd party insurance attached to your registration or Full Comp. If it was registred he had 3rd party therefore NOT illegal.
If we're talking fire/theft/full comp etc then it's not illegal to drive without it - dumb yes, illegal no.

My wife started making me do this a few years ago, for a trip home prior to 'her' I would not have bothered. Now, and esp after reading stories like this I'd agree, never drive without registration, 3rd party insurance AND Full comp insurance, too many ###tards around and hitting an expensive car with no insurance can cost you ALOT of pain, you could potentially be paying repairs to a Merc/BMW and just about ANY car for the rest of your life.......

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive never heard of it being illegal to not have your car insured.Unless your talking about 3rd party green slip insurance.But then the car cant even be registered if theres no green slip 3rd patry insurance..Im in NSW.Is it different in other states?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Don't stress too much mate, To get the whole bar repainted shouldn't exceed $300-350. I know that doesn't make it feel any better but it could be ALOT worse.

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I understand this, motorcycle I do take extra caution due to the nature of exposure they have on the road. I understand all vehicles on road should be treated the same but if you hit a motorcyclist at 40km/h they could seriously get injured from just the hit where a 40km/h hit to a car would just be damaged in most scenarios. I always keep more than regular distance for motorcyclists, in good conditions i keep 1.5-2seconds space just at round abouts and specifically today since we finally started having nice weather in Melbourne drove with guard down and was unlucky.

Cunning is right about not requiring insurance, in Victoria as long as your car is registered your CTP is basically covered by our TAC premium we pay when we pay our annual registration, which covers injury to the 3rd party in event of a accident on our roads. However it is very true that all drivers should at least have 3rd party fire & theft, otherwise comp insurance is recommended even for the most best drivers as its not always going to be your fault, but by law can easily become your fault. If you cant afford even 3rd party fire & theft then you shouldn't be able to afford to drive the car your driving. I was just to stupid to not collect insurance before picking up this car.

Looks like I may just get another bar, for the VY as it will be cheaper - glad no damaged was done to the other car, something to smile about and walk away learning an important lesson.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Depends if we're talking 3rd party insurance attached to your registration or Full Comp. If it was registred he had 3rd party therefore NOT illegal.
If we're talking fire/theft/full comp etc then it's not illegal to drive without it - dumb yes, illegal no.
This is how I always thought it was.Didnt think it was illegal.