Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oil filter Adaptor cap removal

JreKo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Just wondering if someone could tell me whether to loosen the OIL FILTER ADAPTOR CAP is clockwise or anti-clockwise, there is an arrow pointing clockwise.
I'm having trouble removing it.
Any hints.

thanks

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
Anticlockwise to remove cap, clockwise to retighten (looking down from the top of the cap).

It is only supposed to be torqued to 25 newton/metres. If you are having difficulty removing the cap, it is possible the cap threads were not lubricated last time it was refitted. If this is the case, then go carefully, as there may be a chance of picking up the threads on the cap or filter base (aluminium to aluminium threads have a tendency to gall).

JreKo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Anticlockwise to remove cap, clockwise to retighten (looking down from the top of the cap).

It is only supposed to be torqued to 25 newton/metres. If you are having difficulty removing the cap, it is possible the cap threads were not lubricated last time it was refitted. If this is the case, then go carefully, as there may be a chance of picking up the threads on the cap or filter base (aluminium to aluminium threads have a tendency to gall).

thanks. i'll keep at it..

VZ_commo91

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ commodore Acclaim
Had to use a breaker bar to get mine off... bloody tight ! But now its done back up to its correct NM

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
Tap around the housing and on top of the cap with a small to medium sized hammer. Apply torque to the cap in an anti-clockwise direction, while tapping the housing, increase the amount of torque slowly. If your really struggling with a breaker bar, there is something very wrong.