Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Scraping Noise in Engine Bay - Impossible to locate source

elshonno

Reaction score
I recently changed the idle pulley, powersteering pump and main pulley, about two weeks later went over a bump in the road the jolted the front end a little too hard, since then I have been hearing a bad metal scraping noise coming from the engine bay.

The noise is impossible to locate the source and happens when the car is idling or travelling very slow, it stops when the car is moving faster.

The sound also happens more in warmer weather and sometimes not at all in cooler weather.

I had my mechanic look at it and he couldnt locate the problem either, he said the harmonic balancer was ok and it could be the timing chain, but the sound seems to be around all the pulleys.

This is driving me crazy as i dont want to spend any mor emoney on the car but if it a simple or cheap fix then i will.

Any suggestions as to what i causing the sound would be greatly appreciated.

patskies

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 (vz monaro themed)
you say the noise happens when the car is idling? are you saying that it happens when the vehicle is stationary?

elshonno

Reaction score
yep, hapens when not moving or moving slowly, the noise stops above 30km/h

patskies

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 (vz monaro themed)
what happens if u rev the engine without the car moving?

Josh.69

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Executive S2
If the noise is happening while the car is idling, why can't you locate the noise while the car is stationary? :hmmm:

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
get some 1 else to try and hear locate the sound for you( a mech ) thay can hear things you cant??? or some of the older better mech can .get some 1 else to hear check it for you I KNOW HEAR CHECK sounds funny( i dont know what else to call it lol)
I recently changed the idle pulley, powersteering pump and main pulley, about two weeks later went over a bump in the road the jolted the front end a little too hard, since then I have been hearing a bad metal scraping noise coming from the engine bay.

The noise is impossible to locate the source and happens when the car is idling or travelling very slow, it stops when the car is moving faster.

The sound also happens more in warmer weather and sometimes not at all in cooler weather.

I had my mechanic look at it and he couldnt locate the problem either, he said the harmonic balancer was ok and it could be the timing chain, but the sound seems to be around all the pulleys.

This is driving me crazy as i dont want to spend any mor emoney on the car but if it a simple or cheap fix then i will.

Any suggestions as to what i causing the sound would be greatly appreciated.

elshonno

Reaction score
Fan blades are clear, the sound itself expands throughout the whole engine bay and is impossible to locate the source, even the mech I took it too couldnt work it out neither the local nrma guy.

At first I thought it was the exhaust rattling because that is the closest thing to the type of sound I could think of.

Its very embarrasing at the lights with a hot chick in the car next to me lol.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
how many km are on the odo ?
Fan blades are clear, the sound itself expands throughout the whole engine bay and is impossible to locate the source, even the mech I took it too couldnt work it out neither the local nrma guy.

At first I thought it was the exhaust rattling because that is the closest thing to the type of sound I could think of.

Its very embarrasing at the lights with a hot chick in the car next to me lol.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Im pretty sure this is the flex plate.

Mine VN was the same, 1 mechanic said its the belt tensioner so I changed that and it was no different. The next mechanic looked for a few mins then said "its a old car, they all make noise" and walked away.

I got the cat replaced and while it was up on the hoist I asked if I can start it up. In about 30 seconds it was obvious that it was the flex plate.

I took it to the mechanic and asked him to change it, he said it will cost $800... Called the auto joint and they said $120 for the flex plate and $400 for labour.

I checked at a few wreckers and online and most people wrecking cars will sell them reasonably cheap 2nd hand, most quotes about $20-50.

I didn't have the room or tools to drop my trans at the time and ended up selling the car as it was, I was going to buy a trans jack or make one up and put the car on jack stands to do it but it never happened.

If you can do the work yourself its cheap, or if you have a friend that can come over and give you a hand it shouldn't be too hard just as long as one of you knows what you are doing and you have the right tools. Short of that it can be pretty expensive to get it done else where.