Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

That truck driver you flipped off? Let me tell you his story

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
I appreciate what you are saying however the section of road I am referring to they don't do it for that reason as other trucks of the same size are in the left lane and these arrogant ones are sitting side by side as they don't have the power to put their foot down and pass them and get back into the left lane. It's like a game and I have seen it play out many times on the route I am talking about. They start at the intersection of South/Panalatinga/Southern Expressway lined up in the front row of all three lanes (heading south). This is on an uphill incline so take off is slow. Lights go green and all 3 lanes are stuck moving slowly forward as the large trucks all move off slowly. A play for the left lane is a dangerous one by the lunatic in the far left lane as this very quickly narrows into one and there is nowhere to go as the lane literally ends abrubtly. So then we have 2 trucks at the least in the left lane and the one in the right still trying to pull ahead and get in front of the trucks in the left lane. More often than not the truck in the right lane is unable to gain enough power to get back to the left lane as the next lot of lights go red and the whole take off slow crap starts again. Meantime there is a big build up of traffic now behind these trucks.

I do appreciate the job truckies do and I am in no way lumping the lot in with a few bad apples but the above situation occurs far too often.

Like car drivers, scooter drivers, bike riders and people in general, a percentage are complete idiots. Truckies seem to cop a lot of flack from a lot of people but as you said, people mustn't lump the lot in with the few bad apples.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Ill probably get flamed for this but, I used to drive from townsville to brisbane an back about 3 times a year for 3 years (Not in a truck). an at least 3 times on each trip, usually late at night i would be sitting on 120km/h an road trains with up to 4 trailers would fly pass me with ease, they must have been doing 140km/h plus easy, with there little limited to 100km/h sign on the back. just saying.

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
Ill probably get flamed for this but, I used to drive from townsville to brisbane an back about 3 times a year for 3 years (Not in a truck). an at least 3 times on each trip, usually late at night i would be sitting on 120km/h an road trains with up to 4 trailers would fly pass me with ease, they must have been doing 140km/h plus easy, with there little limited to 100km/h sign on the back. just saying.
They are supposed to be limited. Same as p platers can't drive turbos yet I know atleast two blokes that do in my town. Just one of those things.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Like car drivers, scooter drivers, bike riders and people in general, a percentage are complete idiots. Truckies seem to cop a lot of flack from a lot of people but as you said, people mustn't lump the lot in with the few bad apples.

Dare I say truckies cop a bit more flak because of the amount of damage they can potentially cause. Get a shitting driver in a shooter, sure it might ding your door and send him flying (hopefully) but its not going to demolish you.

Get a trucky riding up your arse its a lot more intimidating, theres a lot more pressure to speed up because there is a massive increase in danger.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Dare I say truckies cop a bit more flak because of the amount of damage they can potentially cause. Get a shitting driver in a shooter, sure it might ding your door and send him flying (hopefully) but its not going to demolish you.

Get a trucky riding up your arse its a lot more intimidating, theres a lot more pressure to speed up because there is a massive increase in danger.

I agree with you completely with that, nothing worse than someone driving too close. My only issues are some lanes been too small around corners, trees overhanging roads and muppet drivers (even muppet truck drivers).

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Like car drivers, scooter drivers, bike riders and people in general, a percentage are complete idiots.

Exactly. My point here is that I dislike truckies that sit in the right lane holding up traffic. God knows there have been threads here over the years when just about everyone agrees that when cars sit in the right hand land preventing people from passing it winds them up.

Yet I say it about truckies and a handful of you launch at me like I am some aggressive person on the road that flies off the handle in road rage incidents with zero tolerance. If I do get past I simply extend my middle finger.

I can guarantee those that attacked me here would understand how frustrating it is if you drove to work with me and experienced it.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Exactly. My point here is that I dislike truckies that sit in the right lane holding up traffic. God knows there have been threads here over the years when just about everyone agrees that when cars sit in the right hand land preventing people from passing it winds them up.

Yet I say it about truckies and a handful of you launch at me like I am some aggressive person on the road that flies off the handle in road rage incidents with zero tolerance. If I do get past I simply extend my middle finger.

I can guarantee those that attacked me here would understand how frustrating it is if you drove to work with me and experienced it.

What you have got to realise is that trucks have got to over take other slower trucks too. They might not be able to do it as quick as you wish sometimes resulting in a temporary blockage. Imagine if no truck overtook the slower truck. It would be the worlds longest line of trucks. No truck driver in their right mind will drive side by side for shits and giggles as you believe they are. As I said earlier, the lanes are small enough without driving side by side for the sole reason of slowing you down.

You keep telling us to experience driving to work with you in a car (we can imagine, we all drive cars here)... Have you driven a truck? I have driven both and regularly drive both and can see this from both sides.

Crisis63

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R, Landcruiser 100 Series 4.7L
What company was responsible for giving their drivers drugs? Under the new laws any company to be found doing this would be shutdown and taken to the cleaners. I presume it is a hearsay case?
It is rare now to find any decent sized transport company doing what you say. If you have proof of all this happening I suggest taking it to the police.
It was a case in SA about 10 or so years ago. I can’t find a reference. From what I remember it happened between the Riverland and Adelaide. The driver was either drugged or tired from the use of them and veered onto the opposite side of the road and killed an elderly couple in a Magna I believe. It went to court. The driver claimed the company regularly gave drivers drugs to stay awake. From what I remember it was found to be the case but at that stage the drugs were not illicit nor was there any particular law they could be convicted of hence the reason they still exist, I suppose.
Believe it or not. I could care less.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Ahhh these threads are good. Most comments are made by total arm chair experts when it comes to trucks. Get in behind the wheel and experience bad driving first hand, by the lunatics in cars that cut you off 10 metres before a red light for instance. I agree with the cowboy tag in some truckies, but it's been said above, some trucks need to overtake just like cars do too and it takes longer obviously so patience is a big factor.
I transport mainly over dimensional loads, sometimes with pilot vehicles and therefore spend most of my time in the left hand lane anyway but sometimes going around corners my low loader has alot of cut in therefore takes up most of the road. I've had alot of morons trying to pass me up the inside because i'm costing them 30 more seconds of their precious time whilst i negotiate a corner.
Drive a truck for a day and it'll open your eyes. Things always look completely different up there. ;)

piston_broke

Reaction score
Members Ride
ssv ute , Range Rover Vogue
We all see idiots every day, driving whatever............
But maybe some of these people that want to crucify truckies might find that a simple investment into a CB, and then communicating with the offending truckie might bring about a whole different ball game.
And yea, the money saved from the "anger management course" should more than cover the cost of a CB, and the middle finger used to hold the button down on the CB if you so desire to use it.