Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] Swapping Oils from 10w-60 - 25w-50???

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Hey guys, i have been using Castrol Edge 10w-60 in my VY SS for about a month or 3000k so far, i like the oil. It has quientened down my valve-train noise a little. As i have only had it running in my motor for 3000k it is already black and looks like it needs changing. It has now travelled 121kms. I always change my oil every 5000k.

I have been thinking of going the 25w-50 but after researching it, i found out it is a mineral oil not synthetic like the 10w-60 is. Will i ecounter any problems changing to this oil??? I'm doing an oil change soon and want to people's opinions, if not i can stick to the 10w-60 but it just doesnt last long in my motor for some reason. Has anybody encountered similiar issues???

Please note: This is not an Oil Recommendation Thread!

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
What oil did you use previously? The reason I ask is that it could be residue from the old oil which has turned it black?

Just a suggestion.

Bombaman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
Get some Mainline Flushing Lube, add it to Coles-Shitty Brand Motor Oil and run it through the engine. Then Drain and Re-Fill with Castrol Edge 10w60

RE: Mineral Oil, I wouldnt use anything less than a Semi-Synthetic in non-diesel engine

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
I was using nulons 10w-30, crap oil very very noisy. Then changed to 10w-60.

I was going to do a flush as well, but do you guys think 25w-50 edge is tok think for the ls1? Any good or stick to 10w-60 edge?

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
i'm now using HPR15 semi synth in my v6 best oil so far

the engine is so quite

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Sorry to hijack this a bit. But you say tht you want to go to a 25-50 because it's mineral and not fully synthetic.

I was under the impression synthetic was the way to go with the LS engines?

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Well thats what wanted to know if that is any good for the ls1, I'm also under the impression synthetic is the way to go as well

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
OK, you want to get rid of the decent 10w-60 oil because it's doing its job and cleaning your engine internals from the sh!t that was left over from the last inferior oil; and put in an oil which is the incorrect weight for your car. :hmmm:

25w-60 on a daily driver; Who the far|< told you to use that :hmmm: on a LS1

Get an oil flush additive before your next change, and stay with the Castrol Edge