Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] Swapping Oils from 10w-60 - 25w-50???

VL-VP-VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Statesman GEN III
thanks for that, thats what I thought, think I might try the castrol edge 10w60
the engine does seem to be a bit noisy at the moment like timing chain / lifter noise.
so maybe it is time for a bit thicker oil. the car has been serviced every 10,000k since new and always at the same place
i'd say they have always used a 5w in it, it's been about 4,000k now since last service, and oil is still clean.

TA 91 WA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII 5.7 LS1
thanks for that, thats what I thought, think I might try the castrol edge 10w60
the engine does seem to be a bit noisy at the moment like timing chain / lifter noise.
so maybe it is time for a bit thicker oil. the car has been serviced every 10,000k since new and always at the same place
i'd say they have always used a 5w in it, it's been about 4,000k now since last service, and oil is still clean.

I have the same amount of km's (Just about to hit 200k) and I would go something slightly thicker to quieten down the valve train. :)

CRANKN

Reaction score
Members Ride
A slow1
if the oil turns black it means its working well

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
RE: Mineral Oil, I wouldnt use anything less than a Semi-Synthetic in non-diesel engine

I wouldn't run anything but mineral in a holden V8, synthetic's are too thin. And LS motor shouldn't be running an oil that thick though, 10w60 is a good oil for them.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The LS1 is not a Holden V8.....

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
Haha true its a Chevy V8 :) iv run castrol edge and magnatech in my VY SS and and just pulled it down to send of for machining for my stoker motor and main and rod bearings looked almost like new, rockers, etc all looked good and vehicles done just over 200,000 km's, mind you I change the oil every 5,000km's or so.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Haha true its a Chevy V8 :) iv run castrol edge and magnatech in my VY SS and and just pulled it down to send of for machining for my stoker motor and main and rod bearings looked almost like new, rockers, etc all looked good and vehicles done just over 200,000 km's, mind you I change the oil every 5,000km's or so.

No... no unfortunately that answer is incorrect... the LS1 and all LS engines are GM (General Motors) V8. It has been used in Chevrolets, Pontiacs, Holdens, Moslers, Elfins, Cadillacs AND Saab's.

So in conclusion, no, the LS engines are not chevy engines. Somes chevys use the LS GM engines.

/Rant.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
If it's not a Chevy.....why do guys have Chev badges on their cars??

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
No... no unfortunately that answer is incorrect... the LS1 and all LS engines are GM (General Motors) V8. It has been used in Chevrolets, Pontiacs, Holdens, Moslers, Elfins, Cadillacs AND Saab's.

So in conclusion, no, the LS engines are not chevy engines. Somes chevys use the LS GM engines.

/Rant.

And that's the truth for all you blokes who like to google search 'chev badges' when you masturbate at night.