Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel economy problem

SJM38S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais L67
Around town, a sports exhaust will often give you worse economy.
Our vx v6 auto was averaging 17L/100km, with enclosed pod, 2.5" red-back exhaust, and 20" rims. That was driven by my other half who I generally have to coax to get her through an intersection - certainly not a lead foot.
And I'm a holden mechanic, the thing was over serviced and maintained (if there is such a thing). All new sensors and gaskets...

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
This just goes to show that the intake exhaust and tune helps economy myth is a load of wank the car will always chew more after, my auto clubby dead stock got down to 8.8/100 on the highway and now it bearly gets under 11.

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Yeah it does help the economy, higher flowing exhaust system will and depending how good of a tuner your using, you will see a 1.5L difference.

It's just the driver that's causing the high fuel consumption. Too excited about the new exhaust sound makes their right foot heavier.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
never mind...goodluck

Last edited:

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Around town, a sports exhaust will often give you worse economy.
Our vx v6 auto was averaging 17L/100km, with enclosed pod, 2.5" red-back exhaust, and 20" rims. That was driven by my other half who I generally have to coax to get her through an intersection - certainly not a lead foot.
And I'm a holden mechanic, the thing was over serviced and maintained (if there is such a thing). All new sensors and gaskets...

I disagree the problem was from your exhaust, 20" rims will affect it. Multiple drivers will affect consumption due to different driving styles.

I believe you can never over service a car, are you really a mechanic?

jordazbro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Ok 60 liters I think my tank is . I'm getting 13.33L/100 street Kms ?

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
If its v6 its 60 litre if its v8 it should be 80 unless 6 was swapped out for a v8

SJM38S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais L67
20's on the car since we owned it. I was being sarcastic about over servicing, I just replaced a lot of things. Yes I'm a mechanic. And lastly, as stated, her right foot was kinda glued under the drivers seat as far away as possible from the accelerator... The economy got worse after exhaust and intake, EXCEPT on highway where it improved by an average of 0.7L/100km. (8.0L/100km when cruising at 100km/h, measured by litres used vs distance travelled)

SJM38S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais L67
Also, lack of back pressure at lower revs (ie around town) can lower power in that rev range, using more fuel.