Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is it good to remove catalytic converters?

Hussien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE v8 L98 6.0L
man, I'm in a hurry. my exam will start in an hour. I will post just one photo, and i will check later if i have a video.

12Vrz.jpg

do you want a photo of cats after removing them? if so, I will post it when I finish my exam. Wish me luck.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
3 ways they can be tested:

Temperature, once up to operating temp, if it is at least 10% hotter at the rear it is working.

Flow, drill two holes, one before and one after the cat, fit a pressure guage, there should be no noticeble difference between pre and post cat readings at about 1500rpm.

Emissions test, hook it up to a probe and see if the emissions are within the range specified for that model.

By far the easiest is the temperature test. A laser thermometer is the easiest, take the car for a hard 5 minute drive, hold the revs to 2500rpm, measure in front of the cat as close to the cat body as you can, then measure after the cat the same distance from the body as the front. If it reads higher at the rear, it's working, if it is the same, it's not, if it is higher at the front, it's blocked.

Thanks, I actually knew that but I was hoping someone other than you could answer it.

What I was hoping to demonstrate (to those "discussing the possibility of a cat melting) is that the cat does run reasonably hot all by itself and the process that the catalytic converter creates also creates it's own heat. Some people wonder why the interior of a cat will melt but the cast iron manifolds of the exhaust system don't fail first. Catalytic converters can handle some excess fuel in the exhaust mix, generally when this happens you get that rotten egg smell. However I'm sure that should you get enough fuel down the exhaust and into a catalytic converter there will be enough heat created to melt the inside of the cat. After all, the honey comb construction inside the catalytic converter is a lot thinner than the average cast iron exhaust manifold.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
man, I'm in a hurry. my exam will start in an hour. I will post just one photo, and i will check later if i have a video.

12Vrz.jpg

do you want a photo of cats after removing them? if so, I will post it when I finish my exam. Wish me luck.

Is yours the one being worked on or the one behind the one being worked on? Not that I really give a ****, just curious and know that someone will start giving you a hard time about it.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Hussien: Awkward moment, your car isn't a chev so you need to remove the bow ties.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Is yours the one being worked on or the one behind the one being worked on? Not that I really give a ****, just curious and know that someone will start giving you a hard time about it.

Reading back through the thread, I believe both are his.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Hope the plastic is not used for things like Bad Boy Bubba did with his cling wrap.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
wow, it's also surprisingly dirty and rusty under there for a new car!