Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Outline left from debadging

btjon1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportwagon
Decided to debadge my black sportwagon this arvo. All went well except for the slight outline I was left with from where the badges were. I'm just wanting some advice on what product/method is best to use to fix this problem. One of my mates used cut and polish on his car for the same problem, which left him with big swirly scratches (which is not what I'm chasing). Any help would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Just use polish with a microfiber towel.

355troll

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP v6 commodore ute, 1990 nissan patrol
The detailers at my work use somthing called preptone to get off similar stuff you could give that a try

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
I used Meguiars Scratch X
I got it out after going over it lightly a few times.
I used Meguiars as it had been recommended on here for same use, and was easy to get from Supercheap

gjtucker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 07
I used eucalyptus oil when I removed the side strips from my old VZ worked a treat and no damage to paint. Also try bug remover.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Decided to debadge my black sportwagon this arvo. All went well except for the slight outline I was left with from where the badges were. I'm just wanting some advice on what product/method is best to use to fix this problem. One of my mates used cut and polish on his car for the same problem, which left him with big swirly scratches (which is not what I'm chasing). Any help would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All you need is a non abrasive surface preparation paint cleaner that is perfectly safe on your clear coat. Wash the surface well before use. A product such as Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner will do the job for you. This product will never damage your paint. If all the gunk is not removed the first time just repeat until it is. Be gentle in the application and removal of the paint cleaner product and use a soft micro fibre cloth for buffing off.

Once the surface is clean follow up with a couple of coats of a good quality wax.

Never ever use any kind of abrasive cleaners or abrasive paint prep products such as cutting compounds no matter how gentlle these are claimed to be by the manufacturers. These products will go straight through the clear coat on your car and you will be left with a damaged and dull paint finish.

http://www.meguiars.com.au/products/car-care/paint-care/surface-prep/deep-crystal-paint-cleaner/

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
So the clear coat is really really REALLY thin? Bullshit. A light compound won't hurt it, as long as you don't overheat it or go too hard on the corners.

But try the non abrasive suggestions first, it is always better to start with the lightest approach and step up if required.

VTSSLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 A4 227rwkw
As above, any clear-coat safe (note) polish/compound you can buy in a store will be perfectly safe to use. The old school 'cut n polish' the OP's mate used is probably the cheap, nasty **** which should never have been invented, and isn't clear-coat safe, and was probably applied with a pair of old jeans. Any light cut (swirl remover, whatever) polish applied with a microfibre cloth will be fine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've assumed you're talking about a difference in the paint colour where the badge used to be, in which case all the prepsol/bug remover etc. will do nothing, you need a light abrasive polish to remove the old paint around the area to blend it in.