Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

more Mang for your buck?

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
who the hell would bother with a kalmaker on a LS1 when the stock ECU can have the #### tuned outta it to suit pretty much any situation, huge waste of money with a kalmaker.

What do you mean "don't bother with a kalmaker"? Do you even know what it is?

Um what do tuners use these days to get better access into the standard ECU in a commodore?

Kalmaker software is just that, software so you can modify your original ECU.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2

Um what do tuners use these days to get better access into the standard ECU in a commodore?

Kalmaker Model List

Yes, go make a kalmaker work on a ls1 then, model list shows it doesn't support them.

Specially since its for flashing memcals which LS1s etc don't use.

If that's changed, maybe they should update their site and i've never heard of anyone EVER using kalmaker on one either, all EFIlive and HPtuners.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Why have a v6 modification forum if there is no point in modifying a v6.

there is a point to modifying a v6:

some people just want to do it. and thats fine. thats why this section is here. JC is full of people who have 'been there, done that' and they can guide a new user through the whole process to save them dollars, head fks with problems and (best of all) legalities.

i myself have spent spastic amounts modifying stupid valueless cars, just cos' i could. but when someone asks a SPECIFIC QUESTION: i.e. which is better? modifying a V6 or fitting a V8, then the answer is clear and has been given a number of times "dollar for dollar, it is better to fit a V8"

is just the guys who have modded their V6's that get their panties in a twist to the answer. i dont even know why. its not even up for debate. a V8 is better. end of story.

a V8 sounds better
looks better
performance is debatable in stock form vs modded/charged 6's, but with a few 'wake ups' performance is undoubtable better
a decent tune can yield better fuel economy, especially when you take into account freeway driving or towing
a V8 tows better
and if you take a clunker (say VN) V6 and go to the effort of legally fitting an 8, then you increase its potential to find a buyer possibly even making it more valuable.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
who the hell would bother with a kalmaker on a LS1 when the stock ECU can have the #### tuned outta it to suit pretty much any situation, huge waste of money with a kalmaker.

Kalmaker Model List

Yes, go make a kalmaker work on a ls1 then, model list shows it doesn't support them.

Specially since its for flashing memcals which LS1s etc don't use.

If that's changed, maybe they should update their site and i've never heard of anyone EVER using kalmaker on one either, all EFIlive and HPtuners.

I thought Kalmaker could be used on a LS1, my mistake.

Why didn't you say that in the first place?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i mean a lot of mods such as pod filters, are not legal.

If not fitted properly, like fitting one straight of the end of the throttle body on the old 5.0!!!

A properly enclosed pod filter is legal.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
If not fitted properly, like fitting one straight of the end of the throttle body on the old 5.0!!!

A properly enclosed pod filter is legal.

Plenty of people dont go to the effort though. ;)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You mean to tell me the VC has been illegal all this time with a pod filter hanging off the throttle body? Better not do it to the LS1 then.....