Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which Tyres on Your VE?

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Hey guys... Been a while since I've had to buy new tyres as I haven't really kept cars beyond their first set. But my new (second hand) VE SSV weekender is going to need some in the next couple of months so I'm after some ideas on what people think of tyres at the moment. A lot has changed from what I've read since the last time I bought a set for a VE.

Anyhow, I've previously had the Kumho Ecsta SPT KU31 and the Falken FK452. I preferred the Falken to the Kumho and was very happy with them in both the dry and the wet. But I've been reading that two of the best at the moment are the Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 and the Continental Sport Contact 5 (and I believe some of the VF range have the Contis as their OEM tyre).

I'm leaning away from directional as these days there is no performance increase over an asymmetric tyre and the asymmetrics are a lot quieter than directional.

So what are people's thoughts and opinions on tyre choice for a VE?

Size: 245/40/R19 (factory Series 2 SSV 19s - NOT Redlines)

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Didn't your Gen-F Senator come fitted with Continentals?

When the Potenza's on my Maloo are stuffed, I'll be fitting Conti's.

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
For the SS the cheapest ones you can get, if you are like me they wont last long. :driving::driving::driving:

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Didn't your Gen-F Senator come fitted with Continentals?

Yes - however this is a question specific to the VE SSV! Different car. Different suspension. Different wheels. Different ride height. Like I said, I'm not sure about the VF range either but I THINK some may have the Contis which would make for a better comparison than that of my Gen-F Senator. Apologies for not being quite specific enough.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Bridgestone have a deal on at the moment, pay for 3 and get the 4th free. A mate of mine just fitted S001's and loves them, best tyre he has ever had he says and was previously happy with a Dunlop sp sport max TT. My brother in law runs the RE002 on his commodore and loves them. I just fitted replacement RE050A's and I love them as they stick like poo to a blanket and they are quiet and give reasonable life considering how hard I push the car.

With the Bridgestone deal, you cant go wrong with any of their top 3 performance tyres, all of them come in 245/40/19 I believe.

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for in tyres. Toyo proxes T1 sport are also a good tyre and are well priced.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I went from KU31's to ATR Achilles Sport II's - cheaper and so far I'm really impressed, full set of 235 40 18's were under $500

got mine fitted here Option 1 Garage - performance car japanese performance parts Brisbane Queensland Australia workshop drift racing nissan I believe they ship and you can get them fitted locally or look for a local seller (I notice they don't specifically list your size but I'm sure it'd be available.

ATR have improved since they were first introduced and are now worth the $$$, they won't be as good as say something that costs $400 a corner. But they are incredible value.

I reckon they are better than the Kuhmo's they replaced.

above not info on a VE specifically but I can't see that it'd make that much of a difference.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Thanks for great replies Foggsy and mpower! :D

Didn't realise Bridgestone were having a buy 4 pay for 3 deal at the moment...

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Im currently running yokohama advan sports and must say they are a huge improvment over the 452's I had on previously. More grip in the wet and dry, run smoother and quiter and feel very positive when pushed hard.

Directional tyres are so 1990. Lol.

Other then take off grip, I think tyres are personal opinion to some extent.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I actually just bought myself a new set of 452's again... been happy with them for years and seen no reason to change.

There's 453's out now, so chances are you might be able to pick up some 452's a little cheaper.

As has already been said tyres are personal preference. Some people will swear blind on their particular brands. But I've never had an issue with the 452's on my cars.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
452's since my first car <3