Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to add to the oil to clean the inside of the engine on a vt

D

devilly

what do you add to oil to clean the inside of the engine,the one that you leave in until your next oil change.i cant remember the brand i used to use any recommendations would be great. :)

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The only time I ever used one of those products (I can't remember the brand) my leaking rear main seal became worse.

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'79 VB SL/E 253, VY SS II
The question is, why do you think there is a build up of sludge?
Do you think it has been poorly maintained in the past?
Is it a 2nd hand engine from a wreckers?
Modern engine oils have detergents etc in them to aid in the removal of sludge and other particulates.
Diesel engine oils contain more of these cleaning agents than petrol engine oils because diesel is a less refined fuel.
You could run a similar viscosity diesel oil for a few thousand kms then do an oil change. No harm in doing that, I would prefer to do that than use an engine flush, as previously mentioned, engine flushes can make existing leaks more prominent.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I've always wondered , why does diesel engine oil work on sludgy petrol engines , does it have different detergent additive ?? ( sorry if thats a dumbass question )

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
It generally has more detergents then petrol oil.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
Trouble with flush products is that anything that they do remove end up in the oil. then it gets sucked into the pick up and can possibly block or reduce the amount of oil being able to pass through the pick up. Then you have the crap that makes it to the oil filter and starts to clog that. Then the oil filter will bypass the oil as the pressure is increasing, so the crap gets into the oil system and starts to effect the bearing material.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I'm of the belief that if you service a car regularly , flushing is not needed , but having heard of some horror stories of cars NEVER EVER getting an oil change . some people don't deserve the right to have a car , I'm kind of pedantic , and do it probably more than needed , but hey ho .