Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4671 cam, 10.5 comp, holden 304, only 170kw sound right?

speed__demond

slammed and cammed
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vs statesman 5L
okay so engine builder a few years ago said the engines 10.5 compression and was fully rebuilt.
since then its got a brandnew 4671 crow cam 230/230 109lsa
and just got it tuned. made 170kw..

just wondering does this sound about right or is the motor maybe a bit worn :/

ive read so many people saying their stock 5l is making from 150-160 but sounds like BS to me.

just after some opinions on the subject, and possibly someone with similar mods :rofl2:

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
The clubby puts down 160 ish kw. Crow 4502 cam. Torque power dual plane low rise manifold. 1000cfm throttle body. Stock HSV headers. 2.5 inch cat back system. Stock besides that.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if it has bananas on it cant expect much will fall over early in the rpm post up the dyno sheet

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
that doesn't sound right. I got 178.2rwkw, stock pistons and cam (200,000km old), COME alloy heads, r/rockers, 70mm T/B, swish exhaust, CAI etc.

What exhaust do you have?? Your engine could be strangled if it's too small.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
170kw/230hp @ the wheels sounds about right, that cam isn't really that big and the bananas are worthless.

A good manifold like a TP or harrop, 1000cfm TB with a pocket port on the heads would yield a few more ponies.

Dynos are never 100% accurate either

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
sounds a bit low for higher comp
Mine (EFI stock stroke, stock heads, flat top pistons, 4502 crow, stock manifold) was making 250rwhp on a couple of different dynos before I swapped the intake over for the TTB Trickshift

agreed dyno readings shouldn't be taken as gospel, but assuming it's a reasonably accurate reading, does seem a little low. What injectors and fuel pump are you running ? Mine leaned out bad at around 230rwhp. Fuel pressure dropped and injectors were maxed out. Fit a Bosch 044 and larger injectors, re-tweaked the tune and it made another 20rwhp.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yeah, I don't think stock engines are going to show 150rwkw when they only made 165kw total (when new) unless it's a very happy dyno.

170rwkw does seem a bit low but then it mights just be the dyno. The problem is as Delco andothers have mentioned, your cam is designed to rev, however the standard banana's manifold is going to start choking it just as it's really starting to come on.

Post up the dyno.

speed__demond

slammed and cammed
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vs statesman 5L
ill post it up when I get a photo of it uploaded.
its shaved 50thou, flattops, the cam, double springs, rollerrockers ect ect.
twin 2.5 exhaust pacies.. 3.45 lsd, and running bluetop injectors.

its just shy of 600nm of torque and that's what you can really tell aswell.
the wheels will spin at any speed when I put the foot down and it does feel alot more powerful than the standard 304s ive driven.
ive seen so many people claim they've got 160+ with small mods on a standard engine and just sounds like a happy dyno to me

2INIL8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH COMMODORE 308
170 rwkw seems to be it with a stock manifold wether it be 355 or 304, tuned a few and thats all they will make.
Throttle body only flows 580cfm so put a decent intake and let it breathe and retune.
70mm tb might gain a few kw but that's it.
Cam is too big and wont let it breathe and comp will also be limited
with the stock manifold.
Intake temps are shocking on them and also hurts power.