Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will Kia Stinger really flog an SS?

Would you be happier in a KIA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hyperduc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Wagon
You do know we just post opposing views to stir Monstar! Haha.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I’m with you GTS...a late(ish) model Jag joined the roundabout just in front of me this morning....it had a pair of plastic Aussie flags in those white holders, one fluttering from each of drivers & passengers windows. Now, I’m a proud Aussie but I find these flags a bit cringeworthy and I’m sure if I had them on my SS wagon I’d be called a Bogan...so what do we call those flying them from foreign made cars??
No, you're more a Bogan for having that mindset. "Hurr Durr only Aussie Cars should have Aussie Flags flying from them"

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
You do know we just post opposing views to stir Monstar! Haha.
Yes I suspect so!
Before ECUs were able to control continuously variable valve timing, the most efficient way to avoid knock and enjoy scalable performance through the rev range was through supercharging (inc turbo).
Operating an engine at high mechanical compression and expansion from idle without the friction of an external motor (turbine) gets close to the thermodynamic ideal.
In other words why on earth do you need to rely on an external motor for “boost” if you can manage cylinder pressure via ECU software?*
To give a real world example raising the compression and managing combustion phasing with VVT enables instant torque and same BMEP from my little NA L77 as produced by the W1’s LS9 with the 2300 @10.9 psi.
Both happen to share the peak torque number but NA has much longer (broader) delivery plateau. The NA L77 is 6.1 litres vs LS9 effectively 10.63 litres. BTW that’s same as a Barra @22 PSI or Lambda II @32 psi.
Having driven this setup 320k km over the past few years I can demonstrate first hand how a 41% smaller NA engine vs LS9 makes less heat uses less fuel energy for more power, available under all operating conditions. Mainly due to better thermodynamics, also less parasitic, frictional and pumping losses up top, and delivers instantly - 85% max torque under 2k.
*The main reason for forced induction is to comply with emissions requirement within the lifecycle of the engine series. Also easy to sell magic “boost” to wood ducks.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
No, you're more a Bogan for having that mindset. "Hurr Durr only Aussie Cars should have Aussie Flags flying from them"
If putting my money where my mouth is makes me a Bogan then so be it...but I prefer Aussie badging not badge snobbery

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
If putting my money where my mouth is makes me a Bogan then so be it...but I prefer Aussie badging not badge snobbery
Lol. Ironic post about badge snobbery is ironic.

Your attitude makes you a bogan. Has nothing to do with what you choose to drive in this instance.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride

Your attitude makes you a bogan. Has nothing to do with what you choose to drive in this instance.
Ok I’m a Bogan ....sorry I hit a raw nerve.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi

That’s a bit unfair, bogans drive dual cab turbo diesels now. We are car enthusiasts proud of driving the icon on Australia Day

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
Has nothing to do with what you choose to drive in this instance.

That’s a bit unfair, bogans drive dual cab turbo diesels now.
Bit hard of reading are we?

We are car enthusiasts proud of driving the icon on Australia Day
And what if the person driving the Jag wasnt a car enthusiast? Just wanted to drive around in a car and display their pride for the country they live in? But old mate up there got the shits on because they had the nerve to put Australian flags on a non-Australian car?

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bit hard of reading are we?

And what if the person driving the Jag wasnt a car enthusiast? Just wanted to drive around in a car and display their pride for the country they live in? But old mate up there got the shits on because they had the nerve to put Australian flags on a non-Australian car?
Not exactly sure why you’re being so precious?? Jumped in with your very first reply attempting to put words in my mouth...I could guess as to why you got the guilts but that’s your issue....I prefer Aussie Commodore..strange I know but that’s why I’m on this forum.