Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Gains on a 102 Octane Tune?

NurburgringUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute 2008 V8
Ive just bought an 08 Ute thats been tuned to 305rwKw on 98 Octane.

Here in Germany, I dont have a lot of 98 nearby, I have a lot of E10 and 95 Octane, and my local servo has 102. So, im going to tune the car for 102. Just wondering what sort of gains i can expect from the L98 Manual.

Its go the full Walkinshaw bolt on pack from the dealership, a VCM OTR, GM super stock cam with new lifters, a new HV oil pump, newish Maf.

Yes, btw, this is a ute for germany (as per the username)

NurburgringUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute 2008 V8
Anyone had an L98 tuned for 102? I dont have 98 nearby, but i do have 102. So, its either that or E85. But for E85 id be buying it by the barrel and self mixing as there arent any E85 servos nearby, but i do have contacts in the Ethanol business.

Cheers

Tailgunner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2 SSV Redline wagon
Do I want to see this Ute on my favourite YouTube channel, Best of Nurburgring Fails? Haha
I'm no expert but I reckon you'd get get gains of 5-10kw with the higher octane fuel. Is the fuel ethanol(E85) like in Oz or just a higher octane unleaded?

NurburgringUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute 2008 V8
Do I want to see this Ute on my favourite YouTube channel, Best of Nurburgring Fails? Haha
I'm no expert but I reckon you'd get get gains of 5-10kw with the higher octane fuel. Is the fuel ethanol(E85) like in Oz or just a higher octane unleaded?
You will definitely see it on that channel, just hopefully not under Fails!

and E85 here is the same as Oz, its just rare as all hell here. 102 isnt hard to find, and E10 is everywhere.

Tailgunner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2 SSV Redline wagon
Good man. I'd love to get the SuperWagon over there for a few laps!
Might have to settle for a hire 911
A Holden Ute in Deutschland, what gives?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Ive just bought an 08 Ute thats been tuned to 305rwKw on 98 Octane.
im going to tune the car for 102. Just wondering what sort of gains i can expect from the L98 Manual.

Honestly, it would be like a bees dick more power. IMHO not worth the cost (at least at Australian prices) and you kind of lose a fuel choice (maybe?) if you're somewhere else and there's no 102. Higher octane fuel doesn't really give you more power, it gives you the ability to make more power (if that makes sense) by stopping detonation. It's why people move to E85, it doesn't "make" more power on it, it just stops detonation way better than 98 so you can increase timing, but if there's no detonation to stop it doesn't help (particularly with such a minor increase in octane). Have a watch of the video below. If your tuner thinks they can clean up the tune a bit, then sure, but realistically I wouldn't expect it to make much more than it is now. Ever so slight torque increase across the curve as well maybe.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you want more power from running a different fuel, get it modded and tuned for straight alcohol, you will really notice a difference when running that. :):):) You'd have to buy it by the drum but I reckon Germany might have it cheaper than we pay for it here. Keep in mind you use roughly 220% more fuel than straight petrol.

Tailgunner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2 SSV Redline wagon
By the drum?
Nah,nah,nah,yeh,nah,nah mate.
You'd have to set up your own IKEA petrol station...
Lol

Tailgunner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2 SSV Redline wagon
Stick around, Nurburgring Ute.
We want to hear more from the land of chocolate.
*thumbs up*