Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Gains on a 102 Octane Tune?

Tailgunner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2 SSV Redline wagon
Losh, where does one obtain straight alcohol?
I'm curious.
I can run ethanol from factory.
Seat of pants says morpowa.
I'm a believer.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Probably need to have a chat to blokes who have designated race vehicles. My bike tech used to buy it by the drum, to use in his outfit. Someone who runs drags may keep it on site at an event.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I'm curious.
I can run ethanol from factory.
Seat of pants says morpowa.
I'm a believer.
i have 400L of straight ethanol waiting for my engine to be built, run it in on petrol then turn it up for ethanol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Isn't it basically the same thing? In the bike racing scene some use methanol, which is just the same as alcohol.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
ethanol and methanol are very different fuels, here is a good test to find the best blend of fuels, fuels/adders and there power output, even ethanol at 40% mix is bout all u really need, https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/dyno-testing/big-fuel-test-part-5-e85-versus-winner-crowned/
Are they not essentially used the same way? I had a look and the manufacturing process is different between the two fuels. But why use one over the other? I've never run it in my bike, one I'm not allowed and two it takes a **** load of work and cost to set the bike up for alcohol. Having said that it would seem that ethanol could be consumed as its more like pure alcohol where as methanol will kill you because its synthetic, even though both are basically alcohol.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The good thing about running straight alcohol is lower combustion temps. Less heat also helps to increase power. Although there is increased risk of engine failure if the fuel delivery is inadequate as you easily run lean on alcohol.
Another issue with methanol is it melts plastics so everything in the fuel system needs to be designed to cope with the fuel.

Last edited:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Are they not essentially used the same way? I had a look and the manufacturing process is different between the two fuels. But why use one over the other? I've never run it in my bike, one I'm not allowed and two it takes a **** load of work and cost to set the bike up for alcohol.
they are used in a sorta same way the both contain oxygen ethanol around 30% and methanol around 50%+ so very good at adding oxygen always helps to have more of that, stoich is a big one 100% ethanol at 9:1 and methanol about 6.5:1 so big change to fuel systems, just depends what u want to do with it for street ethanol will always be easier but if u want max power at the drags then methanol will be best option

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Although there is increased risk of engine failure if the fuel delivery is inadequate as you easily run lean on alcohol
ethanol is also safer if u do accidentally run lean as i found out, i had an issue with one of my pumps failing intermittently and it happened as entering boost a few times and it was so lean it was backfiring into the manifold and whole driveling shuttered like it was falling out, BUT since i was logging at the time still no knock at all so prob saved the engine and i have heads off now looking at pistons and with the years of boost and ethanol there's no signs of detonation at all, ethanol is very resistant to knock which is why im running new engine in on petrol so i can see any issues before i go to ethanol

NurburgringUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Ute 2008 V8
h
What is your question exactly? You can get it tuned for whatever you want, even Avgas if you want. The higher the octane the better. Or just get a tuner to tune it for 98 and run it on 102, or get a flex fuel tune if you want to run E85 or petrol or any mix of the two. Any decent tuner you go to should be able to provide fuels to you.
mm, yeah sorry, i didnt really word it well i guess.

I was just wondering if anyone here has tuned for 102 and what sort of gains they saw from said tune. Im currently tuned for 98, but i dont have 98 nearby. only 95, 102 and E10.