Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Improving the handling on a ute

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
good combo your running, from memory the hsv maloo originally came out with 225 55 16 goodyear tyres.
Yes spending a bit more for handling is definitely worth it. yep a thicker rear sway bar is needed for stock utes for body roll, lowered utes wouldn't suffer as much hence why I use helper air bags inside my rear coils to stiffen springs at low pressure unloaded and higher pressure to help suspension/shocks when loading 1/2 ton weight

I think you'll find the Maloos came with Bridgestones

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Here you go as requested....;);) You have NFI what noisy tyres are like. If you think KU22s are loud, try running Feds in a MT and wait six months, then you will know what noisy tyres sound like. ;) Heck if I thought Kumhos were too noisy i could turn up my radio to 6 instead of 5 and it would drown them out....

What he needs to mention is the pattern he is referring to....I know of 2 or 3 Kumho patterns that were noisy, but they have been discontinued, So he needs to compare apples with apples, not pears

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
also drive in the hills in winter with crappy roads, low air temp and freezing bitumen or at high speed at plus 35 C temperatures and you will see how good kumho really are, any new tyre is great on smooth city bitumen like the t to t at 50/60 kmh

I've driven all round S.A, through Western NSW, upto Bundaberg QLD on Kumho KU22.. Some of the roads South West of Bundaberg are goat tracks....That's inbetween Gayndah and Childers/Apple Tree Creek....I regularly trek upto the riverland where the rellies live....They live out on the backroads, where the roads are shite...

I ran up to the Riverland 2 years ago at Xmas time on KU22, in 40+ degree heat....

This is the 2nd set of KU22's I'm on and still haven't had problems with them.

So is that enough testing for you, Mr Expert?

Last edited:

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
good combo your running, from memory the hsv maloo originally came out with 225 55 16 goodyear tyres.
Yes spending a bit more for handling is definitely worth it. yep a thicker rear sway bar is needed for stock utes for body roll, lowered utes wouldn't suffer as much hence why I use helper air bags inside my rear coils to stiffen springs at low pressure unloaded and higher pressure to help suspension/shocks when loading 1/2 ton weight

Yeap I've got the airbags that go inside the springs also , they certainly make a difference when you throw some weight in there .

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Be interested to know peoples thoughts on replacing the front springs, whether it would also help with making the ride more comfortable?

If you still have the original springs in the bus, yes replacing them would be adviseable…..

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you still have the original springs in the bus, yes replacing them would be adviseable…..
Great i will add them to the list for sure then. Ideally I'd fit some new strut lowers but mine are not very old. They are only Monroe but given it would add around 350 - 400 to the job. I can't justify the expense replacing parts that are not worn out, when there are other things that need sorting.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Great i will add them to the list for sure then. Ideally I'd fit some new strut lowers but mine are not very old. They are only Monroe but given it would add around 350 - 400 to the job. I can't justify the expense replacing parts that are not worn out, when there are other things that need sorting.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
That's what I'm thinking. Springs are average and will be worth the replacement. I will eventually replace the lower struts but not for a few years. There are other upgrades getting done anyway which will help handling in the meantime.