Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Random chat thread

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Ye of little faith.:p

My problem is I've always been an advocate for a tune to fix throttle response but I've read a lot about these throttle controllers on the Euro forums as well and they do sound like a good thing.

So when someone like you and Imoengnr get on board then I do trust if they are rubbish then you'd cut your losses and say so.

I'm also holding back to see if I can get some more info on the iDRIVE system as I think it shur looks purdy.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
My problem is I've always been an advocate for a tune to fix throttle response but I've read a lot about these throttle controllers on the Euro forums as well and they do sound like a good thing.

So when someone like you and Imoengnr get on board then I do trust if they are rubbish then you'd cut your losses and say so.

I'm also holding back to see if I can get some more info on the iDRIVE system as I think it shur looks purdy.

Just joking mate.
Obviously to most I would assume, but just to make the point, you won't see an increase in peak power or torque. The best way I can describe it from a drivers perspective is there is an increase in access to power and torque at light throttle applications and accelerated access to P&T under WOT take off. The auto behaves differently too. It goes into performance active shift (or whatever it's called) very easliy, which I really like.
The kicker for me in getting one was when I saw the HSV throttle position % readout on my Son's HSV. He floored the throttle with the engine not running. The readout took an eternity in say dragstrip times to reach 100%. The LS3 clearly had the halters on. The fun police had their way in the factory programming, no doubt.
Whether it icreases the pedal movement to butterfly opening ratio to greater than 1:1 I don't know.
IDrive looks good. Keen to hear your thoughts if you get one.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Just joking mate.
Obviously to most I would assume, but just to make the point, you won't see an increase in peak power or torque. The best way I can describe it from a drivers perspective is there is an increase in access to power and torque at light throttle applications and accelerated access to P&T under WOT take off. The auto behaves differently too. It goes into performance active shift (or whatever it's called) very easliy, which I really like.
The kicker for me in getting one was when I saw the HSV throttle position % readout on my Son's HSV. He floored the throttle with the engine not running. The readout took an eternity in say dragstrip times to reach 100%. The LS3 clearly had the halters on. The fun police had their way in the factory programming, no doubt.
Whether it icreases the pedal movement to butterfly opening ratio to greater than 1:1 I don't know.
IDrive looks good. Keen to hear your thoughts if you get one.

I took it as a joke.

I'm already sold on them and for cars like Commodores including the HSV's who are notoriously slow to react with their soft factory tunes, they appear ideal to make up for that if you want to stay stock.

Plus they are cheap.

I do like the look of the iDRIVE but if I mount it under the dash then that is a moot point.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
I’ve just been told that my 2016 Calais V (V6) cannot be programmed to accept the paddle shift steering from the SSVR. I thought this was a Holden approved accessory for all VF models. This feedback came from Suttons Holden in Chullora, NSW. They are claiming that my car’s software is not allowing them to enable the paddle shifters. They are willing to offer a full refund on the same.

Have anyone on this forum made this setup work?

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Works fine in my my16 sv6

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I took it as a joke.

I'm already sold on them and for cars like Commodores including the HSV's who are notoriously slow to react with their soft factory tunes, they appear ideal to make up for that if you want to stay stock.

Plus they are cheap.

I do like the look of the iDRIVE but if I mount it under the dash then that is a moot point.

Had the Mace controller on the Magnum for nearly a week...
I will admit that its capable of making the ute feel like its been tuned, and I haven't tried it beyond level 6 yet!:cool:
If you're considering a proper tune, don't waste your money, if not, its a great little add on. The iDrive unit does look better, but if you mount it down low and don't actually look at it, save $50 and buy the Mace unit. I found the instructions were a bit generic, but it gets you through mounting and calibration easy enough. I had read the hardest part of installation was disconnecting the factory plug on top of the pedal, used my thumbnail to unlock the orange lock bar and the plug just fell off.
I am impressed with the unit, and the highest praise I can give it, is just to state I have ordered another one for the VE Redline.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Thats what is puzzling. The paddle shift steering seems to be exclusive to the Commodore line up. Would be great to know if a Calais V6 or V8 owner has made this work on their car.
I’d be getting a second Dealer opinion...had it optioned on our MY16 SV6 ute and MY17 SS wagon.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Thanks for the reply. I'll certainly follow up with another dealer.
Hmm...ads like this http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...ategory=33704&pm=1&ds=0&t=1557070815000&ver=0
are for purportedly genuine Holden ‘sports’ steering wheels and state ‘for AUTOMATIC SPORTS models only’ so you may be out of luck with a LUXURY model...I never thought about this previously but to tell the truth I optioned ours because I didn’t want the standard steering wheel but preferring the smaller, flat bottomed...the paddle shifts were an added bonus. I also regularly drive a VF CalaisV and love the comfortable feel of the standard padded wheel.

The linked ad above also invites to ring with questions...