Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The models that could have saved Holden? - including a VF SUV..

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
but what do you mean? Holden have the ZB, the 2 litre turbo model that is the best thing since sliced bread. Just ask @Tessa's ZB!

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
It’s all coulda shoulda woulda type stuff... but I liked the Torana TT36 concept of circa 2004. But like so many good ideas it went nowhere :oops:

Heck, even a TT V6 in a commodore would have been something but typical GM/H had their finger up the butt hole and didn’t want to step on the V8 icon... end result... commodore dead, icon dead, brand dead :confused::oops:

difference between concepts and these ones is that a lot of these were seemingly intended to be considered for production until GM pulled the pin because of $$.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Fake?
On the LS3 VF’s they are open to the engine bay so in that sense how can they be fake?

Oops. I meant to type fake ‘looking’ vents. In my mind those things stick out like a sore thumb on the otherwise classy commodore body.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
difference between concepts and these ones is that a lot of these were seemingly intended to be considered for production until GM pulled the pin because of $$.
The TT36 was well formed and built of a modded KAPPA chassis and off the shelf parts. The fact it went nowhere, and even the HFV6 went nowhere just highlights GM’s complete loss of focus rubbing off on Holden, which was the beginning of the end.

Lucky we still make toilet paper in this country, though sadly, I can’t buy any at the moment. Supposed cause, according to rumours, is that it’s been sent back to China for profit by imported immigrants with nothing but self interest at play. Even making toilet paper will end in this country as we as a nation are dumbed down even further...

It’s all coulda shoulda woulda :oops:

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V

Of the lot, VE Monaro looks the best to me. The SUV loses the top spot because it’s an SUV.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
The TT36 was well formed and built of a modded KAPPA chassis and off the shelf parts. The fact it went nowhere, and even the HFV6 went nowhere just highlights GM’s complete loss of focus rubbing off on Holden

The TT36 surreptitiously revealed strong styling hints for the yet-to-be-released VE Commodore. It was said they built it to test the public’s reaction, it was never seriously intended to go into production in its concept state.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The TT36 surreptitiously revealed strong styling hints for the yet-to-be-released VE Commodore. It was said they built it to test the public’s reaction, it was never seriously intended to go into production in its concept state.
There was talk of needing a market(s) that would support 120,000 units per year for it to be built so to even have such statements would imply an analysis was done... so couldn’t have been purely concept as such.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V

Wonder how the public reacted to the white interior and the pink lights!! ;)

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
There was talk of needing a market(s) that would support 120,000 units per year for it to be built so to even have such statements would imply an analysis was done... so couldn’t have been purely concept as such.

Who knows, they may have been trying to throw people off the scent with such statements.

Remember it was the billion dollar baby under development. I don’t think they had much left to seriously get a revamped Torana concept off the ground, and any early ‘market research’ like this gave them time to tweak VE in line with public reaction.

that’s my thoughts anyway

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
From Wheels magazine:
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/ho...03_07_Weekend&utm_term=list_wheels_newsletter
some interesting ideas in there..
View attachment 209747
I reckon this might have sold gangbusters..goes to show they at least recognised the market was heading away from large sedans and towards SUV’s..but it seems once again the almighty $$ caused it to be shelved..

As a former GMH employee (engineering), the above SUV was never pened by GMH design. Purely a media stunt by wheels/motor. I did see a VE & VF Adventura design/model based off the sportwagon that could of been built down the elizabeth line.