Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What intake Manifold Worked 304 v8?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
You don’t know who Tony Knight is, do you?

And btw, no chance of a Holden manifold performing the same on a triumph lol
I might know more about him than you think. You obviously don't know who Richard Holdner is or Steve Burleigh.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
A single source of information isn’t enough to form a deep understanding. I understand more than enough to know that it’s not cut and dry - you cannot make an absolute statement when it comes to engine combo’s. It’s too complex to analyse theoretically with so many variables; that’s why people do back to back testing with various manifolds in a real world setting.

Information from a specific study for a specific engine cannot be generalised and applied to all engines. All components work together, and absolute statements just don’t work in the scenario of power/torque vs intake style for a given engine. Variables are countless.

Engineering is one of those things; the more you learn, the more you realise how little you actually know.
No engineering is doing a test and gaining data then applying that data.

The dyno sheets Richard Holdner presents are factual data. The intakes behave exactly the same on a 350 chev a ford mod motor or a LS1 longer runners increase low end torque and shorter runners incrase top end power with a trade off at the low end.
If your engine is speed limited by the cam a wise choice would be to incrase the low end torque so you get a higher average HP. A single plane like Tony Knight states above is not a good choice for a cam with 240dur or less. Have a look at the op's cam specs.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No I did not say that. I said up to about 6000-6500 there is no benifit of using a single plane over a dual plane.
I'll have to call you CNN for miss representing what I said.

Go back and look at those results again. The TP single plane manifold make more torque and power at a lower rpm than the TP ual plane manifold which is contrary to your whole argument about single plain manifolds.

BTW, those results I posted are from Craig Bennett @ Torque Power, those were his manifolds up against the original Edelbrock manifolds used on the Holden motors. TK posted them on the forum.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No engineering is doing a test and gaining data then applying that data.

The dyno sheets Richard Holdner presents are factual data. The intakes behave exactly the same on a 350 chev a ford mod motor or a LS1 longer runners increase low end torque and shorter runners incrase top end power with a trade off at the low end.
If your engine is speed limited by the cam a wise choice would be to incrase the low end torque so you get a higher average HP. A single plane like Tony Knight states above is not a good choice for a cam with 240dur or less. Have a look at the op's cam specs.

And once again you are spouting on about info from totally different engines. The only thing they have in common is that they are a pushrod V8 motors.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
And once again you are spouting on about info from totally different engines. The only thing they have in common is that they are a pushrod V8 motors.
So if a ford mod motor which is 4 valve over head cam btw and chev 350 act the same where are the magic pixies and dragons hiding inside my holden 5l?????

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Go back and look at those results again. The TP single plane manifold make more torque and power at a lower rpm than the TP ual plane manifold which is contrary to your whole argument about single plain manifolds.

BTW, those results I posted are from Craig Bennett @ Torque Power, those were his manifolds up against the original Edelbrock manifolds used on the Holden motors. TK posted them on the forum.
I can't see anywhere where it shows a TP dual vs a single. I can see two dyno sheets but one is TP dual vs torker and the other is TP dual vs performer.

Then there is peak figures which is not what I'm talking about as a single will have a higher peak number most of the time but lower average HP and torque on engines with smaller cams.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
He’s very passionate, and can’t imagine he’d dismiss anybody looking into his products. Some people don’t like dealing with online messages when selling; myself included.

For example, when selling a car or a bike on gumtree/Facebook etc, people that message are far less likely to make a purchase. People that pick up the phone to make a call are the buyers almost 100% of the time. It’s incredibly difficult dealing with the time wasters. I’ve knocked back shifts at work before to stay home for people to inspect items I’ve had for sale, only for them to not show up. No message or call to let me know either. I’ll never do that again.

Some sellers prefer a more personalised approach too (I.e. phone call) and is a more effective/efficient way to determine customer needs. Facebook and their messaging system has been incredibly detrimental to online selling due to the ease and convenience of the marketplace messaging system. Nobody takes buying seriously anymore.

Yes exactly browsers browse, buyers inquire and make real contact.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
No I did not say that. I said up to about 6000-6500 there is no benifit of using a single plane over a dual plane.
I'll have to call you CNN for miss representing what I said.
How is there no benefit to using the TP single over the TP dual when the example immortality quoted clearly shows the single make more power and torque AT A LOWER RPM!!!!

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
I haven't actually made a suggestion as to what manifold the OP should run. The only stipulation the OP gave was that it should fit under the bonnet which really limits what can be used.

I don't think anyone has asked what the intended purpose of the car is and what type of transmission and diff gearing he is running as they have an impact on manifold choice.

AND there are some of the most important things to find out!!!!!!!

Sorry love this site and while I find this entertaining and informative most all will not = ( especially new posters )( who if they don't get an answer in 20 minutes are gone forever) and therefore but another post that because of some people/posts degenerate into arguments that if a new poster has clocked off going WTF

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
How is there no benefit to using the TP single over the TP dual when the example immortality quoted clearly shows the single make more power and torque AT A LOWER RPM!!!!
No it does not cleary show that. There is two dyno graphs showing the dual plane vs edelbrock manifolds and then some peak figures. Tony Knight even states that for cams under 240 duration the dual plane is the better choice. Tony Knight litterally says extactly the same thing as I'm saying.

For smaller cams the dual plane will make more average horse power. If you run a larger more agressive cam that shifts the curve higher in the RPM range then the single plane will make more power.

The single plane will even have a higher peak HP number on a smaller cam but it will hurt low down power.