Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What intake Manifold Worked 304 v8?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Single plane won't hurt power if everything is matched correctly.

May as well say it will be shite 'cos it's not a stroker,compression ratio not high enough or choose a better cam,diff gears,stally/trans blah blah blah.

What works on an ls isn't going to have same results 100% on holden 5 litre

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
The cam is listed to 6200rpm so single plane would just hurt power right across the curve. If you don't believe me watch richard holdner and his manifold tests. Port size is irrelevant.
Okay, we are going to have to disagree on this one.
It has flat tops on VT heads (59cc from memory) and if they have little to no valve relief in them he is an easy 11+ comp motor.
Yes it is stock stroke, but he has selected a decent hydraulic roller cam to complement his set up. I would be surprised if he lost anything going single plane unless he goes with the largest ports possible.

And yes, I believe port size DOES matter as velocity is important for low end, and volume is key for high rpm.
Good manifold selection with his set up will help hold power past the advertised rpm range (as how the heck a catalogue knows what displacement/comp/exhaust he is running, is a miracle)

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
It has flat tops on VT heads (59cc from memory) and if they have little to no valve relief in them he is an easy 11+ comp motor.
Yes it is stock stroke, but he has selected a decent hydraulic roller cam to complement his set up. I would be surprised if he lost anything going single plane unless he goes with the largest ports possible.

And yes, I believe port size DOES matter as velocity is important for low end, and volume is key for high rpm.
Good manifold selection with his set up will help hold power past the advertised rpm range (as how the heck a catalogue knows what displacement/comp/exhaust he is running, is a miracle)
Low 6000’s I don’t think you’d see a huge difference in peak power between low rise dual and single plane manifolds. Neither manifold is a restriction but torque curve will be altered a little. I’d have either tbh.

IMO don’t focus on loss of low end torque from manifold runner sizes etc, but focus on histall and diff gears to keep it in the sweet spot. I’d probably go a tp low rise just because I like the look for a h series (retains stock dual plane look) and keeps it all under bonnet.

From my personal calcs, flat tops with VT heads leaves you with 10.3 static compression which would suit that cam well with 98 imo. It’s closer to 9.5-9.6:1 with vn heads.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Low 6000’s I don’t think you’d see a huge difference in peak power between low rise dual and single plane manifolds. Neither manifold is a restriction but torque curve will be altered a little. I’d have either tbh.

IMO don’t focus on loss of low end torque from manifold runner sizes etc, but focus on histall and diff gears to keep it in the sweet spot. I’d probably go a tp low rise just because I like the look for a h series (retains stock dual plane look) and keeps it all under bonnet.

From my personal calcs, flat tops with VT heads leaves you with 10.3 static compression which would suit that cam well with 98 imo. It’s closer to 9.5-9.6:1 with vn heads.
I agree that a performance manifold that appears visually similar to stock is an appeal in many instances.

From memory, VN heads with approx 5cc valve recess in pistons gives 10.5comp.
That is why I assumed 11s for OP
But come to think of it, all my memory calcs are for 355", not 304" which would make a difference for sure.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

This is where you should be quite. Go and watch Richard Holdners youtube videos on LS intake manifolds. Yea different engine but he literally tests every V8 out there and they all perfom exactly the same way.
If you don't watch his videos you're just basing your argument off emotion not facts so you're wrong.
The power curve is based on runner length and nothing else. short single plane runners dont gain anything untill 6500+ and thats a fact

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
This is where you should be quite. Go and watch Richard Holdners youtube videos on LS intake manifolds. Yea different engine but he literally tests every V8 out there and they all perfom exactly the same way.
If you don't watch his videos you're just basing your argument off emotion not facts so you're wrong.
The power curve is based on runner length nothing else short single plane runners dont gain anything untill 6500+ and thats a fact
I think you mean quiet, not quite.
But anyway.
I appreciate that you have seen a good video (which I have not seen it) and learnt something.
Although he is not the only smart cookie to make a video or publish a book.
I subscribe to the straight runner theory (air sucks at turning corners, aka dual planes).
You also assumed my employment does not show me performance facts regularly - be it non GMH V8 also. So not emotional as such.

I don't have a problem with us having opposing opinions. As it should provide good debate and discussion for OP to help with his decision.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I think you mean quiet, not quite.
But anyway.
I appreciate that you have seen a good video (which I have not seen it) and learnt something.
Although he is not the only smart cookie to make a video or publish a book.
I subscribe to the straight runner theory (air sucks at turning corners, aka dual planes).
You also assumed my employment does not show me performance facts regularly - be it non GMH V8 also. So not emotional as such.

I don't have a problem with us having opposing opinions. As it should provide good debate and discussion for OP to help with his decision.

This is litterally dunning krugers before me. Richards videos are not opinions he literally presents the test test data and goes over it with you it's not his OPINION it's just plane raw DATA. When you watch his "data break downs" on intake manifolds you will learn.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
This is litterally dunning krugers before me. Richards videos are not opinions he literally presents the test test data and goes over it with you it's not his OPINION it's just plane raw DATA. When you watch his "data break downs" on intake manifolds you will learn.
I will look this up.
Cheers

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
So cams have no influence on power band? Who knew?

Intake runner length, along with size and taper are one of the many things that influence the overall power curve.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
So cams have no influence on power band? Who knew?

Intake runner length, along with size and taper are one of the many things that influence the overall power curve.
Yes cams do but when you compare intakes on a engine with the same cam and heads but only the intake changes you can see the effect.
Single planes perfom better above 6000-6500rpm so when you install one it is recomended that you use a cam from 4000-8000rpm range to utilize the gains of the manifold and visa versa.
Dual planes have more power everywhere on the dyno graph up untill 6000-6500rpm so like in the OP's case if you have a cam that drops off at 6200rpm you're just throwing horse power away using a single plane.
Can I be more clear about this?