Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

308 burnout cam

Beau308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb commodore
Just wanna get few opinions on cam kits for me 308 blue Motor purely for skids was looking at something like this what yas think
Screenshot_20201010-094152_eBay.jpg

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Looks like you are on the right track. For burnouts only you will target high rpm power as that is where you will live.
But just make sure that bottom end can handle the sort of rpm you will be spinning to.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Diff gears are your friend.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I did an LS swap into a VC a while ago as a burnout car, stock engine, just a tune and it had no trouble spinning 205/65R15's on the 3.08 diff through a 4L60E. Had a 308 with VT injection in it before and the trimatic struggled to hold second. If you don't have torque, change the gearing.

Beau308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb commodore
I did an LS swap into a VC a while ago as a burnout car, stock engine, just a tune and it had no trouble spinning 205/65R15's on the 3.08 diff through a 4L60E. Had a 308 with VT injection in it before and the trimatic struggled to hold second. If you don't have torque, change the gearing.
The ole 308 shouldn't have to much trouble holding second with the 4:44 gears im thinking should be quite easy ??

Beau308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb commodore
The ole 308 shouldn't have to much trouble holding second with the 4:44 gears im thinking should be quite easy ??
Cause ill be pairing her up with a trimatic

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You can pull 3rd easily with 4.44's. Wouldn't be a hell of a lot of tyre speed in 2nd, more smoke with a faster tyre speed, and they won't squeal.

Another thing to look at is the oiling mod on the 308, sustained high revs can starve the cam and crank of oil due to the crappy draining of the oil in the 308's. The basic mod is to flow the pump and drill a hole into the #1 cam journal to allow oil directly into the bearing rather than being fed along the galleries. Look it up, there are a few different mods, some simple, some complex.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You can pull 3rd easily with 4.44's. Wouldn't be a hell of a lot of tyre speed in 2nd, more smoke with a faster tyre speed, and they won't squeal.

Another thing to look at is the oiling mod on the 308, sustained high revs can starve the cam and crank of oil due to the crappy draining of the oil in the 308's. The basic mod is to flow the pump and drill a hole into the #1 cam journal to allow oil directly into the bearing rather than being fed along the galleries. Look it up, there are a few different mods, some simple, some complex.

One recent mod I have been told about with the oiling system on these is to fit a -6 or-8 fitting into the sump, near the oil dup stick....Run a line from there to a catch can.

Another one is get restricted push rods...ie, the oil feed hole in the pushrods need to be smaller in diametre......Also the cam retaining bolt has a hole in it, which should be sealed up, then have that cam oil hole drilled.....

So a few more ideas for the Op to research

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
One recent mod I have been told about with the oiling system on these is to fit a -6 or-8 fitting into the sump, near the oil dup stick....Run a line from there to a catch can.

Another one is get restricted push rods...ie, the oil feed hole in the pushrods need to be smaller in diametre......Also the cam retaining bolt has a hole in it, which should be sealed up, then have that cam oil hole drilled.....

So a few more ideas for the Op to research
I would say drill the back of the heads and fit dash6 lines down to sump (above the dipstick)
This is to aid drain back from the heads which is likely to haunt you as an issue with sustained high rpm.

I don't really like the idea of restricted pushrods. But others more experienced than me seem to be okay with it I think.

I have heard of re-drilling the hole in the cam bolt to direct oil splash at the oil pump drive gear instead of the cam chain.

Pump rebuild and blueprint is your #1 oil mod in my opinion.
And shim the spring too (can use valve shim from harley v-rod or most ktm and other OHC dirt bikes. 9mm diameter from memory and I think 2mm thick)