Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Filter nut

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
After a long day changing the manifold gaskets (thanks for the excellent write up Hot-Rod) I decided to quickly change the oil and filter and cross threaded the filter, Arrgghhhh ! Never done that before. The filter nut got stuck on the filter when I unscrewed it and came out and I need to replace it. Anyone know what this threaded nut is called or what size/type it is? Cheers.

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
the bit that came out that the oil filter screws into looks like the middle image.

1629019743266.png

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't know if I've ever seen that part anywhere as a separate item you can purchase. You could try a Holden service centre or head down to your local wrecker and get one there.

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
I knew I should have changed the oil in the morning and not rushed...I managed to get the filter off the nipple. The thread on the filter is buggered so I'll need to buy a new one. I'll try to carefully screw the new filter onto the nipple, if that works screw the whole thing into the engine. I'll go to the local plumbing supply and fasteners and see if they have a nipple to suit, then try Holden. Thanks for the link to the housing, if I wasn't in such a hurry I'd get that. Can't believe after all I did today to get screwed by a filter.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
I knew I should have changed the oil in the morning and not rushed...I managed to get the filter off the nipple. The thread on the filter is buggered so I'll need to buy a new one. I'll try to carefully screw the new filter onto the nipple, if that works screw the whole thing into the engine. I'll go to the local plumbing supply and fasteners and see if they have a nipple to suit, then try Holden. Thanks for the link to the housing, if I wasn't in such a hurry I'd get that. Can't believe after all I did today to get screwed by a filter.
put some red loctitte on thread before you screw it back into the engine

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
It looks very much like 1/2" BSP which is a plumbing size.
You can buy 1/2" brass long thread in 6" length and cut what you need but do as above and use locktite or thread seal.
You may be able to buy a short thread, things have changed since I left plumbing.
DSCN0648.JPG

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
It looks very much like 1/2" BSP which is a plumbing size.
You can buy 1/2" brass long thread in 6" length and cut what you need but do as above and use locktite or thread seal.
You may be able to buy a short thread, things have changed since I left plumbing.View attachment 225431
Thanks, I'll head down to Reece and see what I can get. Hope with the new world order I won't get sopped by the police and fined for leaving my house. I had a look this morning and the thread is a bit buggered at the beginning. I carefully touched it up with a points file and it looks better than what it was. I'm going to have to get a new filter because that is stuffed, with any luck the new one will screw in so I'll try that first. Thanks gents

ChocolateCharlie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Executive
Went to Reece, the threads are different. Automotive vs whatever he said he has. Then it dawned on me, Speeds Spares is just around the corner! Why didn't I think of him straight away? Idiot. Showed him the bit, wasn't showing up on the PC, his mate had a look, rummaged around in a organiser box and there it was "Oil Filter Connector 92062457". Lucky we have Covid because I would have embarrassed myself and gave them both a big hug.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
awesome
some time it all comes up millhouse