Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS oil change

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
That’s good to know something was done by the dealer at 137k kms :p

I’d guess that the dealer service was just a pan drop where the torque converter would still be holding a few litres(?) of 137k km old fluid. After your pan drop, that old TC fluid would mix with your new pan fluid which is why it would look so dark after 15k km of driving with the odometer now at 150k km. Just rephrasing and adding to what @Immortality said in post #136

As is, another couple of pan drops and fluid changes should see it finally a clean pink, else you can use a flush technique to replace all fluid

Been a while since I’ve watched the above so can’t remember when within the process he uses when he changed the trans filter. Ideally the trans filter should be changed as a last step, to be sure to be sure, using a pan drop technique though that would use more fluid…
We will have to give this a go

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That’s good to know something was done by the dealer at 137k kms :p

I’d guess that the dealer service was just a pan drop where the torque converter would still be holding a few litres(?) of 137k km old fluid. After your pan drop, that old TC fluid would mix with your new pan fluid which is why it would look so dark after 15k km of driving with the odometer now at 150k km. Just rephrasing and adding to what @Immortality said in post #136

As is, another couple of pan drops and fluid changes should see it finally a clean pink, else you can use a flush technique to replace all fluid

Been a while since I’ve watched the above so can’t remember when within the process he uses when he changed the trans filter. Ideally the trans filter should be changed as a last step, to be sure to be sure, using a pan drop technique though that would use more fluid…
That's basically what I do, drop the pan, change the fluid, then drop the cooler line behind the radiator and pump it out till it runs clean. Put everything back, fill and check for leaks. Change the pan to one with a drain plug to make subsequent services easier.

Fortunately we have more fluid in our trans pans so if you fill it completely you can generally do it in one go.

Just don't run the engine after the first fill until you have dropped that cooler line or you will push all the old fluid from the converter back to the pan that is full of the new clean stuff.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
I've looked at the attached a few times, interesting to compare water and air oil coolers

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I've looked at the attached a few times, interesting to compare water and air oil coolers
Compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges.
Of course water is going to be better than air pound for pound - but we can do what we want to make air more efficient.
I run a thermostat that progressively opens at 55C (wish I went higher in hindsight) to fully open at 65-70C. This goes into my air cooler (at front of car in front of radiator).
I also put a spal pull fan in that is thermostat activated above 85C - even idling in drive for 10 minuets after a WOT pull does not see my temp go up above 90.

Running a 2800 stall that doesn't lock 'till 65kph in 5th or above gear, I never get above 90C with my system.

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

It's a big rant about 4x4's and little relevance to cars we drive.

At the end of the day, if it didn't work why did Holden fit external transmission fluid coolers to cars as part of the tow package?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ohh good, I thought it was just me who thought he was a bit biased.