Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are VF II's getting the asking price?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
A mate of mine bought this Sep '17 SSV Redline Wagon today with 6000km's like brand new for 80k. He only got it being the first of 5 interested to lay down a 5k cash deposit. The seller said that he probably should've advertised it for a higher price and didn't anticipate anyone willing to pay 80k, thought he might get 70k realistically. We see these elevated asking prices wondering if they're selling and seems for the right car with low km's, they're definitely selling.

IMG_1584 (1).jpg

Leon771

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII SS-V Redline Sportwagon
What does your mate plan on doing with it? I honestly don't understand the demand and high price that these cars are commanding. Our MY17 wagon is used as family car and is enjoyed. Are all these low km cars being put away in garages never to see the light of day? Are people buying them as investments? Was your mate able to get insurance close to the $80k mark? I was looking at getting a Redline or Motorsport a month ago. I could not get insurance for anywhere close to what sellers were willing to take for their cars ($10 to $20k less than what cars were being advertised for).

In the end I decided against purchasing a V8 Commodore and will get just get a Shelby GT-H Mustang or Supersnake instead (currently waiting to see what the new S650 platform brings).

Leon771

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII SS-V Redline Sportwagon
so because you don't see the value no one else should?

ok.
No I own one, but what I want to know is what people who are paying these prices are plan to do with the car.

I genuinely want to know what someone who has just paid $80k for a Redline will do with it. Will it be driven, or will it be mothballed?

Flaggers

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VF SS
Still don't understand why the redline title gives it such an extra price increase over a standard VF series 2 SS/SSV.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
It’s a price that people seem willing to pay at the moment and if there is still demand, that will likely be the case for a while to come.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
What does your mate plan on doing with it? I honestly don't understand the demand and high price that these cars are commanding. Our MY17 wagon is used as family car and is enjoyed. Are all these low km cars being put away in garages never to see the light of day? Are people buying them as investments? Was your mate able to get insurance close to the $80k mark? I was looking at getting a Redline or Motorsport a month ago. I could not get insurance for anywhere close to what sellers were willing to take for their cars ($10 to $20k less than what cars were being advertised for).

In the end I decided against purchasing a V8 Commodore and will get just get a Shelby GT-H Mustang or Supersnake instead (currently waiting to see what the new S650 platform brings).
I don't really know what he bought it for other than being a V8 Holden enthusiast for years and not owning one for 5 years. He had a 2013 VF1 SS wagon and traded it on a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT in 2016, still has the Jeep. Personally I wouldn't buy a Commodore at todays prices and I'm appreciative of buying my Aug '17 Redline ute with 3900km's for 50k early August 2020 just before they went nuts. My V8 ute's a toy and my daily drive is a VF2 SV6 (work) ute. We paid 25k for the '16 SV6 with 44,000km's Oct 2020 before they went high to the high 30's /40k. Previous work ute was a BA XR6 Falcon I had for 10 years ending up 450,000km's on it.

My Redline ute is insured for market value they've got for 48k and that'll do for the $640 premium given that I paid 50k for it. I guess some may insure them for todays prices if you pay the premium for it. Above all else with insurance for me is choice of repairer so the car doesn't end up ruined with a crap panel job if it does get bent.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Still don't understand why the redline title gives it such an extra price increase over a standard VF series 2 SS/SSV.
There's no SSV in VF2 it's either SS or SSV Redline. Other than Brembo brakes, it has stiffer sway bars and different shock valving, leather seats and different interior trim, lane departure warning and front camera, the HSV style dash cluster and a performance mode, paddle shift standard with an auto and staggered wheels but fundamentally, it's the same car with a bit more tart up. I think an SSV Redline was about 12K more than an SS new.