Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are VF II's getting the asking price?

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
There's no SSV in VF2 it's either SS or SSV Redline. Other than Brembo brakes, it has stiffer sway bars and different shock valving, leather seats and different interior trim, lane departure warning and front camera, the HSV style dash cluster and a performance mode, paddle shift standard with an auto and staggered wheels but fundamentally, it's the same car with a bit more tart up. I think an SSV Redline was about 12K more than an SS new.
Mine is a VF2 SSV ,but ive added 6+4 pot Brembos , paddle shift , staggered 8.5 9.5 20's , lane departure and collision via a dashcam and TPMS and performance cluster , suspension , exhaust , Alpine Halo9 with wireless Android Auto/Carplay , cam and supercharger and i'm glad mine wasn't a Redline because it allowed me to do all these upgrades without feeling guilty i defiled a Redline

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Yeah I believe it was only MY17 where they dropped the SS-V, pared it back to two V8 ‘performance range’ models.

As to the “why pay more Redline” question, people have always paid more on the used market for an original top-of-the-line than an optioned-up originally-lower-spec one, in Whatever.
For example you could option your XY Fairmont up to GTHO Phase III specs & have a more optioned car that was no slower, and while such a car would be worth more than your average 351C XY Fairmont it’s worth waaaay less than a real Phase III.
XD ESP too.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Above all else with insurance for me is choice of repairer so the car doesn't end up ruined with a crap panel job if it does get bent.

I guess most of us on here would take the same option if it was not for the scary premiums. Who are you insured with?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Three reasons - covid tax, chip shortage, and people thinking these cars are worth way more "because they're the last" - although this one is a bit more at the higher end of Commodores.

After watching the asking price of Japanese cars (or basically any car that's slightly desirable, or anything else at all for that matter) skyrocket through the pandemic, a lot of the time the stupid expensive asking prices are just people who either aren't really bothered if it doesn't sell or don't want to sell, but will part if they get offered stupid money.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I guess most of us on here would take the same option if it was not for the scary premiums. Who are you insured with?
I do a price-check each year, not all the majors each time but a random smattering, and the cheapest of the reputable insurers has been the mob I’m already with (Shannons) for the last 15 or so years - and it’s your own choice of repairer with them. I can get cheaper insurance, but with companies nobody’s ever heard of or companies like Budget Direct where they may or may not pay out …

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
I do a price-check each year, not all the majors each time but a random smattering, and the cheapest of the reputable insurers has been the mob I’m already with (Shannons) for the last 15 or so years - and it’s your own choice of repairer with them. I can get cheaper insurance, but with companies nobody’s ever heard of or companies like Budget Direct where they may or may not pay out …

That's good to know. Mind sharing how much you pay yearly for your Regal Peacock?
I am currently with NRMA and their premiums are getting ridiculous.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Mine is a VF2 SSV
My apology, I had the impression that SSV's were phased out in series 2, but it's the MY 17's Holden dropped the SSV. They look like an SS externally and I hadn't noticed they have the silver V badge on the back instead of the SS/SV6 Series II badge.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Three reasons - covid tax, chip shortage, and people thinking these cars are worth way more "because they're the last" - although this one is a bit more at the higher end of Commodores.

After watching the asking price of Japanese cars (or basically any car that's slightly desirable, or anything else at all for that matter) skyrocket through the pandemic, a lot of the time the stupid expensive asking prices are just people who either aren't really bothered if it doesn't sell or don't want to sell, but will part if they get offered stupid money.

The they're the last rings true as for price hikes....Even before the pandemic hit, people were talking up prices because Holden pulled the pin...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's good to know. Mind sharing how much you pay yearly for your Regal Peacock?
I am currently with NRMA and their premiums are getting ridiculous.
If that "Homebush" is correct, we're in North Ryde so you'd be paying much the same amount of Sydney Tax as us ... you could probably insure yours for a bit more than the $50k we have on ours as ours is only a VF1. Let me shuffle through the pieces of paper here .. no don't have the renewal here sorry, and can't recall exactly how much it was. I'm going to say about $1100, I'll update this if I remember to look through the pile of "not yet been sorted" upstairs tonight. It's cheaper than GIO, Suncorp, NRMA and AAMI.
BUT it does include some multi-policy discount, as I've got another car plus house+contents with them (plus greenslips - can't remember if that also gives any discount on Comprehensive).

The they're the last rings true as for price hikes....Even before the pandemic hit, people were talking up prices because Holden pulled the pin...
And as it's a Used Thing, the price is effectively dictated what a potential buyer thinks OTHER buyers will pay for it ... used prices on stuff is all Mind Games, including property. So if enough people convince each other they're worth more - they actually are worth more.

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I find it completely stupid that people are willing to pay these prices now but they weren’t willing to pay these prices when Holden was actually in business! I guess the old adage is true, you don’t realise what you’ve got until it’s gone.

Either that or everyone paying top dollar now is looking to flip it for more money down the road.