Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Bicycle Thread.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
My trusty Diamondback Interval Pro with 2 x 9 Shimano Tiagra gearing, and my Shogun Metro 7005 with 3 x 9 Shimano Deora gearing.
Both these bikes have done thousands of kilometres over a period of about 14 years and I’ve never had a problem with the gearing. I have just noticed a fraying of one of the gear cables on the Diamondback though.

Attachments

• 1ECBFAEF-D28D-47FC-9BC4-B9412A698E26.jpeg
    1ECBFAEF-D28D-47FC-9BC4-B9412A698E26.jpeg
    471 KB · Views: 147
  • 4FBFE85E-9B24-4467-9B60-82FC4939C722.jpeg
    4FBFE85E-9B24-4467-9B60-82FC4939C722.jpeg
    463.1 KB · Views: 140

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I've got clipless shoes coming because I'm going to see a bike fitter. I'm planning on riding lots of km so position can prevent injury.
Yep, frame size, seat height and handle bar reach are all important. Don’t go too hard too fast too soon or you’ll be reaching for the knee braces too early:)

Reactions: Lex

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I remember dads Queen LP that had Fat Bottom Girls on it. Yeah. I remember that.
My God I thought you were so much older than that Fu! I had that album.:)

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
My trusty Diamondback Interval Pro with 2 x 9 Shimano Tiagra gearing, and my Shogun Metro 7005 with 3 x 9 Shimano Deora gearing.
Both these bikes have done thousands of kilometres over a period of about 14 years and I’ve never had a problem with the gearing. I have just noticed a fraying of one of the gear cables on the Diamondback though.

The Sora and Deora are the same level in group sets and both are meant to be very reliable.
From what I've been told the further up the tree you climb the more expensive the components become and the faster they wear.

The Shimano 10 and 11 speed cassettes are 1.8mm and the 9 speeds are 2.2mm so more metal means more life.
Although I watched a guy (YT Channel Sicbiker) he had a 1x12 speed SRAM chain set that had done over 10,000km with a gold looking coating so probably (probably means I don't know it looks gold) Ti Ni Cr and it looked new.

If only group set makers made a wider rear axle forcing bike makers to make wider frames so you could get 2.2mm 11 speeds with 9 speed chains on 1x bikes.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
The Sora and Deora are the same level in group sets and both are meant to be very reliable.
From what I've been told the further up the tree you climb the more expensive the components become and the faster they wear.

The Shimano 10 and 11 speed cassettes are 1.8mm and the 9 speeds are 2.2mm so more metal means more life.
Although I watched a guy (YT Channel Sicbiker) he had a 1x12 speed SRAM chain set that had done over 10,000km with a gold looking coating so probably (probably means I don't know it looks gold) Ti Ni Cr and it looked new.

If only group set makers made a wider rear axle forcing bike makers to make wider frames so you could get 2.2mm 11 speeds with 9 speed chains on 1x bikes.
I get you. Just don’t spend too much money or put too much thought into it until you know you’re going to stick at it. I’ve known guys to spend big money on all the top gear and I’ve still out raced them on my entry level Diamondback. Get yourself bike fit and make sure you don’t injure yourself early on, it’s easy done no matter how fit you think you are. I’ve seen guys tanked and ripped get on a bike for the first time thinking they can keep up with the best of them only to stumble at the first hurdle. I’ve seen guys spend thousands straight off, only to give it up because they’ve hurt their knees or back early on. Just my advice.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
You're overthinking it. Mere mortals aren't going to wear or break quality stuff any time soon. I've got about 18k kms combined on my ebikes all running original groupsets, derailleurs and have barely had a handful of chains. They are 2-4kW and 40-160nm respectively. Mechanical sympathy is key. Professionals don't worry about sympathy because they have races to win and are next level athletes

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
AS @ hademall and @ Pollushon have said don't overthink , overcomplicate,or over spend and think = what you want out of.
At our mere mortal stats , is A giant $6700 gavel bike going to give 3 times the speed or enjoyment over the giant gavel $2100 bike.
I got 31k km over 5 years out of a $780 avanti mountain bike = mostly paths /road and trails with 2 chains and 1 cassette change before getting my current 2 .
And then I sold the avanti to a workmate

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
What I want is a gravel bike with the Rock Shox Rudy's for under 3k.
My current bike is a 2x and the only time I shift onto the small chain ring is coasting the bike around or if I'm climbing. I think the small chain ring is 34t and the cassette sprocket is 25t making about 1.3 ratio if I'm not mistaken.

So a 1x will fill my needs of 35kmh+ on flats and a .95 ration low for climbing. Only issue is all the 1x bikes are about $250-350 more expensive over Sora 2x9 bikes or Tiagra 2x10 bikes.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
By Jesus man!!
I thought I over analysed shxt.
Are you competing in such as triathlons and pushing 10ths of seconds , Asking ( not by your first post)
But if probably wrong forum for!!!!. Asking !!

== Stop overanalysing
Buy the style and what you can justify to spend = ( as we all humans do )= and then enjoy!!!!

And then If you have moved on= eventually, accept you've progressed and respend at that point of time

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
It's easy enough to turn a 2x into a single. I've done that to almost every multi speed bike I've owned. Decent crank set replacements are not expensive and neither are rear cassettes for whatever ratios you want. I personally like a 42 front for road and 36 for dirt with a HG500 on the back. 10 speed but a great range from 42 - 11