Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's wrong with VF V8 Calais V's?

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Doesn’t LSD come in tablets or as sticky blobs on pieces of paper?
Are you telling me Stephen King didn’t give me accurate information?!
Damn, no wonder I suffer ‘INSOMNIA’, sometimes I feel like I’m in ‘THE DEAD ZONE,’ it’s well after ‘FOUR PAST MIDNIGHT’ and I just want someone to ‘CARRIE’ me off and put me out of my ‘MISERY.’ I think in pure ‘DESPERATION’ I may have to go and see ‘DOCTOR SLEEP’ before the men in white coats take me to ‘THE INSTITUTE’ where I may have to walk ‘THE GREEN MILE’ which could end up being ‘THE LONG WALK’ that goes for miles and miles, and I might end up like a ‘BAG OF BONES’ if I don’t become one of those ‘SLEEPING BEAUTIES’ soon. I could just slash a wrist and ‘IF IT BLEEDS’ so be ‘IT’ I’d rather that, than to be mauled to death by a rabid dog named ‘CUJO’ then dragged off to a ‘PET CEMETERY’ which could be haunted by ‘THE TOMMYKNOCKERS’ or ‘THE SKELETON CREW’, or I could just bore myself to death by reading ‘THE STAND’!
No, I think I’d be better off doing what I’ve always done, drop another tab and do another ‘NIGHT SHIFT’.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I had a bit of a Google out of interest … your assessment is astonishingly & depressingly accurate.
It’s like Calais was only available in Fleet Cardigan Metallic White.
“The cream, the bone, the off-white, the white, the ivory or the beige”

“Yep, sounds great love, thanks”.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Actual white is somewhat nicer than taxi fleet metallic white (also sold as "silver" I think) ... and also rarer, in Calais, apparently.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
So did holden get it right with the director?
Much less chrome, but is the amount of chrome not the only problem?
I have a black calais and love it. It was exactly what I wanted when I found out Holden were finishing up.
I wanted to swap the grille out to a director version to tone it down a bit but when I showed people photos, they all preferred the chrome. (Car and non car enthusiasts)

Attachments

• 3a0a4e968790bd37446b9edb2d5f0e68.jpg
    3a0a4e968790bd37446b9edb2d5f0e68.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 71gbx6m7gcidy7srwx81kzybd.jpg
    71gbx6m7gcidy7srwx81kzybd.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 139

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
So did holden get it right with the director?
Much less chrome, but is the amount of chrome not the only problem?
I have a black calais and love it. It was exactly what I wanted when I found out Holden were finishing up.
I wanted to swap the grille out to a director version to tone it down a bit but when I showed people photos, they all preferred the chrome. (Car and non car enthusiasts)
You're asking for personal preferences, everyone's going to be different! :)

However I prefer the reduced-chrome option. Except for the red, notsomuch a fan of the red highlight.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
If I was to do it again I would go Calais over SS for sure

Maybe even a low km Statesman over the SS

In the end I'm using it a a fun modified street car that has had nearly every handling and performance part changed anyway

As for ride height, I don't have issues at FE2 height, even with big tube 4:1 headers

Compliance on rough roads is spring rate and valving, alot of people use spring rates that are way to height and the damper valving is mismatched

In the end dampers (shocks) are a consumable item anyway, so "factory suspension" only lasts so long