Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dash Cams - What is Normal Workshop Practice?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Most businesses have CCTV recording 24/7, without signs up advising of it.....So judging by this post, we as normal everyday people can request not to be filmed whilst we are on premises, including the deletion of such footage of us entering premises, as it does violate our rights, very much like it violating a businesses rights by us recording footage via our dashcams...

i am not even going to get into this chestnut again but laws can differ per state and it all falls under the surveillance devices act.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
a workshop is a private place so looks like its best to ask first... simple...
Often these workshops have a honking big glass wall looking into the workshop itself, so customers can see their vehicle being serviced. Such abrogates any classification as a private space :p

It’s the same with the path to your front door, such isn’t private property per se as you have given implied consent for anyone to walk up to your door and ring your doorbell. Don’t like that, install a high wall at the boundary of your property with a gate to keep people out and an intercom so they can ask permission to enter ;)

Disclaimer: IANAL

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
it would be nice if someone hacked them and made it so you can host your own middleman server on a raspberrypi or something, a pi would be well powerful enough to do it.
It would be nice if business didn’t try and shove their hand in our pocket at every opportunity.

Really it’s a no brainer for a business to design their tracker so they don’t need to be involved. Ain’t as if they continually send fireware updates as part of the bargain requiring their middleman status.

It’s like the early games of Halo and C.S. where you could host your own game server, but now it’s only hosted by the manufacturer for the cost of a subscription. And as soon as it dies off, below some threshold they have defined internally, they just kill off their servers making the game near useless.

But it will soon be augmented reality and fat slobs laying in recliners, a.k.a surrogates , so nothing to see here :p

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
i am not even going to get into this chestnut again but laws can differ per state and it all falls under the surveillance devices act.

[/URL][/URL]

At the end of the day, being for or against laws, if a place of business has an issue with having a dash cam recording whilst a car is being repaired/serviced, it says they have something to hide, which means find a more trustworthy business that doesn't object to it.

The same applies to walking into a business or working in a business....If they have CCTV cameras operating and you don't like it, leave.....That includes your place of employment

Oh and finally....The same applies to streets that have them in operation....You don't like it, stay away from them, or stay home...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh and finally....The same applies to streets that have them in operation....You don't like it, stay away from them, or stay home...
Though I agree with the concept of taking a stand, practicality mean that you have no real choice, a shop ies choice if you will. Not much to do but bend over and take it else you can’t even leave home to buy food (since there are cameras are everywhere).

Really, we aren’t far behind China with cameras, facial recognition, behaviour recognition, etc. A long time ago I mentioned in another thread some foreigner it worker in Shanghai was j walking and when he got home he has an email notifying him of his crime (j walking) and that his bank account was debited the fine)… At the moment our Pollies can only dream of such efficiency :p

As a society, we’ve already given away any rights to privacy and though the surveillance devices act seems to imply we have rights, really you only have rights if you have cash to go to court and exercise them. For the rest of us it’s bend over and simply accept it because, sadly, privacy is an old notion :confused:

May be we should just embrace our loss of privacy and embrace it. Make everything open… I’d like to know what politicians earn, what taxes they pay and how many negative geared properties they have, because I don’t think any of the, are worth 10% of what they rake in…

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
a workshop is a private place so looks like its best to ask first... simple...

Video Recording in Private Places

Different rules apply in private places. A private place is generally any land or building that is privately owned. Examples of private places include residential homes, offices, businesses, shopping centers, museums, and stadiums.

Owners of private places make their own rules about video recordings. They can decide to allow recordings in some parts of a building but not others. They can allow photographs to be taken while prohibiting video recordings. They can allow recordings to be made during certain hours or ban them entirely.

Unless a videographer engages in offensive conduct, it isn’t a crime to break the property owner’s rules. However, the property owner can ask anyone to leave who violates the owner’s rules, and someone who refuses to leave might be guilty of trespassing. It’s always best to ask permission before making a recording on private property and, if permission is refused, to respect the property owner’s wishes.

I disagree and maybe the law need to be updated but when a commercial premises is working on a 3rd parties property the owner of said property must have certain rights.

I love the old sign on the back of the walls of some mechanics that say vehicles stored at the owners risk!

If business's have polices about the use of camera's than it needs to be clearly displayed.

I know here in NZ business that use CCTV need to have signage up but again the law differentiates between private and other use of CCTV cameras.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
still simple in my mind, if u feel like u need to record your vehicle getting worked on then u clearly dont trust them so dont go there, personally i have never had a service at a major dealer i have only used small family owned workshops so maby im not seeing the dodgie stuff the bigger guys do where u would need to record them but in saying that then dont go there if they are that bad

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I didn't buy a dash cam to record people working on my cars because I'm the only person working on my car 99% of the time but should I decide to take my car somewhere for something I'd hope they don't decide to tamper with something they aren't actually working on. Do they accept liability if said device is damaged? I bet they'd claim it wasn't them....

CCTV is a fact of life these days. My former employer had them all over the site ( but when my vehicle was damaged apparently the camera wasn't recording), most shops have it, I have multiple camera's around my house as do some of my neighbours.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Though I agree with the concept of taking a stand, practicality mean that you have no real choice, a shop ies choice if you will. Not much to do but bend over and take it else you can’t even leave home to buy food (since there are cameras are everywhere).

Really, we aren’t far behind China with cameras, facial recognition, behaviour recognition, etc. A long time ago I mentioned in another thread some foreigner it worker in Shanghai was j walking and when he got home he has an email notifying him of his crime (j walking) and that his bank account was debited the fine)… At the moment our Pollies can only dream of such efficiency :p

As a society, we’ve already given away any rights to privacy and though the surveillance devices act seems to imply we have rights, really you only have rights if you have cash to go to court and exercise them. For the rest of us it’s bend over and simply accept it because, sadly, privacy is an old notion :confused:

May be we should just embrace our loss of privacy and embrace it. Make everything open… I’d like to know what politicians earn, what taxes they pay and how many negative geared properties they have, because I don’t think any of the, are worth 10% of what they rake in…

We are able to buy food without leaving the house....Online shopping is becoming popular.....Even banking is popular online, so effectively we can become hermits and not leave the sanction of our house and still be able to survive.

That being said, I have no issues being on camera...Even my workplace has CCTV, so I'm on camera reguarly, which surprises me, because I normally break them with my looks.... :)

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Wouldn't be much to see on dashcam with the bonnet open I wouldn't imagine. I guess if you charged them for set of wiper blades and didn't fit them, the dashcam footage may bite a shonky workshop.