Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cams and timing chains done! cylinders misfiring though.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
thats how it sounds with the coils grounded, heapsssss better. not rough at all.

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
You have to be slightly insane to do that and to admit to it :D
Yeah I know it’s a bit embarrassing ahaha. Pretty sure it’s from around that ac compressor/power steering bracket area. I remember just getting really impatient and pulling any bolt I saw around there cause that bracket wouldn’t come off. Turns out it’s just like 4 bolts.

I’ll have a look this arvo I’m sure it should be around that area maybe. It seems weird a bolt would plug off oil though normally it’s only drains plugs that do that.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Check the workshop manual too. No experience on your model, but other ones I've done some bolt holes are open to water and oil passages. The manual will call out thread sealer for those ones.

Reactions: Lex

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
Check the workshop manual too. No experience on your model, but other ones I've done some bolt holes are open to water and oil passages. The manual will call out thread sealer for those ones.
Yeah some of the bolts had rubber around them so would make sense. I’ll post an update if I find it or not

oi nah

Reaction score
Members Ride
rattletec
so ive found the leak, and yep, it was a bolt ahaha. it was a bolt right next to the ac compressor bracket. would of been when i was going on a bolt removal frenzy trying to get that bracket out.

so now thats sorted the last problem is only cylinder 5 is misfiring. when the car is at cold start temp around 1000rpms it sounds mint as, like nothings wrong, once the revs drop to 500, sounds rough as, the car shakes heaps, and the check engine light flashes, and its misfiring cylinder 5.

so what do you reckon it could be? im thinking maybe a damaged spark plug or coil. the check engine light only comes on when it drops down in revs which is wierd.

any help would be appreciated, cheers.