Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 VF2 tune and OTR questions

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Omega, EA Fairmont (Restoration)
I never understood pop tunes for the sake of pop tunes in fuel injected cars

Are they meant to make a car slowing down sound "fast"????

WTF

Kids these days......
When I was young and silly, I had an S Pac VY I could get flames shooting out while downshifting haha was cool at the time

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
When I was young and silly, I had an S Pac VY I could get flames shooting out while downshifting haha was cool at the time
Ive had overrun flames on carbie cars with big cams because it wasn't able to be tuned out

On a fuel injected car it is just poor tuning, or, for the look at me boys senario

People who know tuning know its just for bringing all the "boys to the yard", and when all the new little 4 cylinder cars are doing it on instagripe and failbook, you should know that not doing it is the right way to go

images.jpeg-26.jpg

If you want "REAL" cool noises do it right and get stuff like antilag/2 step/trans brake, otherwise your just faking it

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Omega, EA Fairmont (Restoration)
Ive had overrun flames on carbie cars with big cams because it wasn't able to be tuned out

On a fuel injected car it is just poor tuning, or, for the look at me boys senario

People who know tuning know its just for bringing all the "boys to the yard", and when all the new little 4 cylinder cars are doing it on instagripe and failbook, you should know that not doing it is the right way to go

View attachment 242811

If you want "REAL" cool noises do it right and get stuff like antilag/2 step/trans brake, otherwise your just faking it
I wasn't really caring for what people thought, I just thought to myself that it was cool that I got it to do that without tuning it in. It's too noisey to have nowadays, plus I enjoy my licence more than I did back then haha

As for those noisey 4 cyls, it really isn't a good sound, always sounds like the exhaust is just gonna pop off. Whenever I hear one come pass our place, I always think someones dropped a crate of empty tins

RTSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Commodore 6.2L
I never understood pop tunes for the sake of pop tunes in fuel injected cars

Are they meant to make a car slowing down sound "fast"????

WTF

Kids these days......
Each to their own really really, my question was does it damage the engine like the tuner had said to me. Not too interested about your confusion regarding the tune.

Appreciate the insight, though champ.

RTSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Commodore 6.2L
Easy, head to C&A Auto in Blackburn, they're Commodore fanatics. Ask about the 385kw package. I got it on my Motorsport Edition and love it and they've been servicing my car for 5+ years. Here's a link for comparison to stock sound.

Cheers! I’ll give them a call and speak with them about that, it’s not too far from me.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Each to their own really really, my question was does it damage the engine like the tuner had said to me. Not too interested about your confusion regarding the tune.

Appreciate the insight, though champ.
Over time it will kill the cat

Unburnt fuel isn't kind to them

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I was told by the mob that does the package they tune this out because it damages the engine / bad for the car in general, is this true?
Back cackling on overrun isn't good on a race engine as retarded ignition and lean mixtures increases combustion temperatures. The reason the Supercars threw flames on overrun in the petrol days was the hot exhaust igniting the fuel injected on overrun to cool the piston. Ideally, the injector pulse on overrun should be the same as idle with the ignition timing declining in the same proportion as full throttle mimicking the way centrifugal advance functions on a distributor and carby engine. Tuned like that, the engine doesn't back cackle on overrun.

A tuner who thinks overrun back cackle is stupid, is probably a better tuner than those who think it's good!

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
so i guess the unanswered question then is why did holden think it was a good idea?