Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Difillipo 3 inch vs Walkinshaw catback

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
This silly thing here is it?

It's a stupid idea of DPE's to run long mufflers so they can minimise ground clearance and delete the tunnel brace. Alternatively, they could've run 4 resonators in the midpipe, cleared the tunnel brace maintaining adequate ground clearance and used bigger rear mufflers. You can fit 9" diameter 14" long round mufflers in the rear of a VE/VF that also minimises drone the best using the largest rear mufflers that'll physically fit.

View attachment 244151
Many say it is the length of the Centre resonators that give the DPE is signature deep deep note…..

I don’t know enough about exhaust science / gas flow velocity to comment, but have always though the DPE system sounds best to my ears

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
1 7/8 4:1 headers to 3" catted Y pipe to 4" with a big quality straight thru muffler at the rear

View attachment 244150
Droneless exhausts isn't as hard to do as people make out

Drone can be easily tuned out with large quality mufflers and/or resonators if required
Do you have any videos of the note?

Is it deep?

Does it have good note separation through whole rev range?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
1 7/8 4:1 headers to 3" catted Y pipe to 4" with a big quality straight thru muffler at the rear
That's similar to the old Supercar exhausts except to pass the 95db rule on the racetrack, the muffler (fitted into a boxed floor pan), was 24" long 12" wide and 6" thick. Looked like a big oval truck muffler. There was also a resonator with oval internals at the side outlet. Although the Supercar engines revved to 7500rpm, anything less in 4" single system muffling would ping the decibel meter. Unless a road car engine was turbo charged or had some massively restrictive cats, I can't see where there's room enough in a road car chassis to adequately muffle a 4" single exhaust.

Supercar mufflers now are typically 2 x 500mm long 5" diameter 3" internal straight through packed with stainless wool.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Many say it is the length of the Centre resonators that give the DPE is signature deep deep note…..
It's the perforated tube hole size and packing the muffler with fiberglass that produces the deep smooth (DPE) note. Where the mufflers are fitted in the exhaust stream doesn't change the note much but minimises drone inside the car with the largest mufflers that'll physically fit at the rear.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Do you have any videos of the note?

Is it deep?

Does it have good note separation through whole rev range?
No vids

Very deep sound in the lower rev range, sounds like war at high RPM

Every I know loves the sound, random strangers have also commented on how good the car sounds

Cruising around, whilst loud, isn't annoying inside the car, either with windows open or closed, the Mrs can usually be found asleep in the passenger seat, outside when cruising around it's a very deep and heavy sound, reminds me of a big block type of sound that you can "feel"

I'm also running 400 cell cats to keep emissions in check

I've had louder cars before, but as I don't do laps around the block, hang out with the "car park" crew, be an idiot when driving on the street, have them stupid low, or covered in stickers, I've never once had an issue with the law

I have been pulled over for the occasional "random" breath test a fair bit, the main thing I get is "nice car mate", then " your right to go"

If I do "need" to quiten it down, the open area on the passenger side has room for a large custom muffler (in the stock muffler position)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I get stacks of comments as my MagnaFlow sounds pretty hot. But it's pretty loud and it can be a bit of the ear if you're cruising the city with the windows down. I wouldn't change it but man it's loud and if your in a multi story carpark it can be hard to really try to concentrate on squeezing into those tight car spaces. Funny thing is I never realised until the last couple of days that I really noticed it is loud as it is. I have never driven in Westfield or multi storey carpark, or in big city traffic with tall buildings around.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I'm also running 400 cell cats to keep emissions in check
That'll help muffle the system and reduce noise!

The only VE/VF header that'll pass the cat test in SA are HSV or Pacemaker shorties as the SA rule requires cats to remain in the original location. It's the reason Pacemaker (an SA Company) did the HSV 340 copy as a common setup that'll pass a vehicle examination and avoid grief from the cops, is a 340 or Pacemaker shorty with piped cats. That in fact makes nearly as much power as a 2.5" outlet long tube and 100 cell (illegal) cat setup on a stock or mildly modified LS3. Every long tube header car we've taken for a vehicle inspection has been rejected with a work order to refit the stock or HSV header/cat setup.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I get stacks of comments as my MagnaFlow sounds pretty hot.
There's a bloke across the road from a friend of ours with a nice VE SSVR that has a good exhaust note. I asked him this morning what system he had and it's a 2.5" Magnaflow on long tubes with 100 cell cats. I've read a couple of times in the USA, they reckon the Magnaflow exhausts (G8/Chev SS) are too quiet!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There's a bloke across the road from a friend of ours with a nice VE SSVR that has a good exhaust note. I asked him this morning what system he had and it's a 2.5" Magnaflow on long tubes with 100 cell cats. I've read a couple of times in the USA, they reckon the Magnaflow exhausts (G8/Chev SS) are too quiet!
US is funny I think over there it's go big or go home.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'll try and post a pic of mine in a few weeks when I get it up on the hoist at home. I reckon I have tiny mufflers which make it loud.