Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throttle body not opening

Artvandolay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
I'll probably need to wait until the new year before I can get the transmission serviced, but I think I will get it done so I know it's fresh. It did have a logbook and had been serviced but looks like it had been serviced at the kilometre intervals and not time. So there was definitely too long between services with regards to time. But the engine and all components look brand spanking new.
If it is the torque converter, has anyone tried that lubegard shudder-fix from Repco?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I'll probably need to wait until the new year before I can get the transmission serviced, but I think I will get it done so I know it's fresh. It did have a logbook and had been serviced but looks like it had been serviced at the kilometre intervals and not time. So there was definitely too long between services with regards to time. But the engine and all components look brand spanking new.
If it is the torque converter, has anyone tried that lubegard shudder-fix from Repco?
I’d just stick with the standard transmission service first rather than using additives. I’ve not used any additives myself but I’ve heard some of them can be problematic.

Seeing as the transmission is the most complex and expensive part of the car to replace I wouldn’t entertain any additives unless it was a last roll of the dice and your fine with replacing the transmission.

If the vehicle hasn’t been serviced based on time intervals thats a pretty big red flag and I wouldn’t be putting any more kilometres on the car than absolutely necessary until all the servicing is up to date.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If the vehicle hasn’t been serviced based on time intervals thats a pretty big red flag and I wouldn’t be putting any more kilometres on the car than absolutely necessary until all the servicing is up to date.
It’s only a big red flag from a warranty perspective because not serving to factory standards compromises said warranty (both factory and probably statutory warranties).

But the reality is that it’s mainly the brake fluid and coolant that have any engineering basis for a a time based service. The rest of the vehicle‘s service is dependant on usage (and the type of usage).

Interesting.y within the USA, GM uses an oil life monitoring systems and the engineering analysis determined alforithm that would flag when the oil needed to be changed. On complaints from the dealer network, the algorithm was revised to add an “or 12 month” to keep the dealer service workflow continuing. That is, the revision was financial rather than engineering based.

PS: My MSE has done 6,000 kms and it’s had its 36 month / 90,000 kms service. That’s a lot of unnecessary oil and oil filter changes as well as unnecessary air filter changes.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
The only thing I noticed was that when I grab a hold of the driveshaft right behind the gearbox and try and shake the whole lot it has a little bit of play as it shifts around on the rubber mounts. I've just strapped a GoPro under there and am thinking to take it for a drive and try and catch it on camera.
There shouldn’t be any play within those rubber mounts.

IIRC, there was a service bulletin on the 6L80E to resolve vibration/clunking issues. It involved removing the gearbox rear flange, cleaning up the splines and using lock tight before reassembling the lot.

Maybe the play was the flange more than the rubber mounts? Maybe you can ask a dealer to find out whether the TSB was actually applied to your vehicle?
I’d just change the fluid in the diff, transmission and engine. I’d also consider brake fluid flush and coolant flush if it wasn’t done within the required timeframe specified within the service booklet.

I’m not a fan of those magic fix whatever additives…

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
It’s only a big red flag from a warranty perspective because not serving to factory standards compromises said warranty (both factory and probably statutory warranties).

But the reality is that it’s mainly the brake fluid and coolant that have any engineering basis for a a time based service. The rest of the vehicle‘s service is dependant on usage (and the type of usage).

Interesting.y within the USA, GM uses an oil life monitoring systems and the engineering analysis determined alforithm that would flag when the oil needed to be changed. On complaints from the dealer network, the algorithm was revised to add an “or 12 month” to keep the dealer service workflow continuing. That is, the revision was financial rather than engineering based.

PS: My MSE has done 6,000 kms and it’s had its 36 month / 90,000 kms service. That’s a lot of unnecessary oil and oil filter changes as well as unnecessary air filter changes.
It’s highly dependent on the driving conditions experienced by the car. In this specific case the big red flag is that it was owned by a 90 year old and the car has SFA kilometres on it.

That’s an iron clad guarantee of uber short drives to the church on Sunday with zero opportunity for the vehicle to warm up at all and burn off any water vapour or hydrocarbons etc from the engine oil. Not too sure what the effect would be on transmission fluid but I’d bet it’s not good.

Like I said before to the OP my first port of call would be change all fluids and filters and then revisit any potential problems after doing this. The oil and filter changes may or may not fix the problem but they need to be done anyway regardless due to the low mileage and short trips.

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Omega, EA Fairmont (Restoration)
I have put in 2 tubes of anti-shutter (when I first found out about the problem) it did stop it but for bugger all time. Doesn't hurt anything, but if the problem is too intense, then the lube does jack.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
It’s highly dependent on the driving conditions experienced by the car.
Yes, fully agree which is why I said
You just explained it more clearly for the OP, relative to his vehicle :D

PS: In my case I have no such usage issues that would degrade oils and such. But the dealer and Holden just want the service dollars and they simply aren’t interested in how the vehicle is used. The fact I drive for at least an hour whenever it’s taken out simply isn’t relevant to them.

It’s probably why I get peeved when many big corporates go on about caring and/or saving the environment when in fact they are only interested in $€£¥. But that’s a whole different kettle of fish :p:p:p

For the moment I’m accepting the shafting cause I want factory warranty preserved :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Artvandolay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
Thanks so much everyone for all of your input.
It has stamped services in the logbook, and I know the air filter, oil and oil filter we're just done in October. Will definitely get brake and coolant done first thing in the new year although they're not the cause of what is going on at the moment.
That rubber mount on the back of the transmission just seemed a little spongy, I could push up on the drive shaft and stretch the rubber out about 5 or 6 mm. I assumed that was normal for it to have that kind of play to absorb vibration but maybe not? I didn't figure much out with the GoPro by the way.
Definitely agree the 90 year old driver with super low kilometres was a big red flag. I nearly didn't bother with it for that reason, but it drove beautifully when testing and looks immaculate and in the end just could not walk away from a car with 26000 kilometres on it. I think it's been getting it's services, hopefully he was doing inbetweeners with the oil.
Will look into the possible service bulletin for the gearbox rear flange.

Artvandolay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
Another thing was when I was looking for vacuum leaks I noticed that the rocker cover connection for the breather hose from the air intake ( the one at the rear passenger side of the engine) can spin and is kind of loose? I sprayed carby cleaner around it and didn't notice revs increase, although even when I pulled the hose off and sprayed the carby cleaner straight in I still didn't notice anything with revs. Is that little elbow connection supposed to be loose like that? I can't seem to pull it out?
It couldn't be expensive, I would just replace it to be sure if I can get it out, I wouldn't have to take off the whole rocker cover would I?