Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car battery is not charging

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Even though p13 shows an x at 150,000 the footnote says that it isn't required under normal driving conditions.
Not on the pages you've listed?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Even though p13 shows an x at 150,000 the footnote says that it isn't required under normal driving conditions.
IIRC my MSE is clear that the trans fluid is replaced @ 150,000km under normal driving condition.

Oddly many live in cities where, during summer their daily commute in hot stop start driving conditions, many manufacturers would qualify as severe driving condition. But when has any dealer recommended this tighter servicing schedule to any owner?

That’s where the shitfuckery comes into it. It’s almost as if this severe conditions clause is put in the service book as an way out of warranty claims to be used as desired by unscrupulous manufacturers…

Why do I thing this, because no dealer service has ever said I must do more frequent servicing for driving in stop start traffic during the hot summer months. Not once have I been advised of this tighter servicing requirement with any brand of car I’ve owned. Luckily I’ve never had a trans failure so haven't experienced any issues with trying to get warranty repairs on such but then again I service my own cars post warranty :p

As far as trans service is concerned, I’ve also been told by one dealer service manager (another brand not Holden) that changing transmission fluid can cause a no drive conditions so they don’t recommend fluid change is done, ever :eek: Yet for that brand, the service schedule details (actions performed) have been removed from the service booklet and that manufacturers web site. Seems openness about such stuff seems whining in some cases, at least with some makers, and these dealer pricks won’t put anything in writing :mad:

So one has to wonder how many normal non enthusiast car owners would ever question what a dealer says and what should be done for long product life. It’s compounded by a penny pinching attitude that is the hallmark of many owners. It’s almost a service philosophy for some, especially once out of warranty (yet they will happily spend $50k buying a new car cause it’s new… and think not using plastic bags will save the environment.. go figure) :rolleyes:

It’s why I (self) service more often than required using better quality parts where available. It’s the only way to be somewhat comfortable that my car will last for many multiple decades…

And it’s why I take what some may consider ocd and unnecessary steps if jump starting… but it’s my car and my rules (same as logic as wanna eat and drink… you can walk)…

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
not the same vehicle but the "sealed for life" transmission on the zb calls for the fluid and filter to be changed every 72,000km if driving outside of what they consider normal and it calls for the routine 144,000 service to change the fluid and filter.

the colorado calls for it to be changed at 75,000 for driving outside of what they consider normal and 150,000 for normal.

i may be wrong here but i always thought "sealed for life" was talking about the life of the service interval because the consumer has no way to check or add to it.
i never thought it was the life of the transmission because everyone knows you get them serviced around the 100/150 mark.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
not the same vehicle but the "sealed for life" transmission on the zb calls for the fluid and filter to be changed every 72,000km if driving outside of what they consider normal and it calls for the routine 144,000 service to change the fluid and filter.

the colorado calls for it to be changed at 75,000 for driving outside of what they consider normal and 150,000 for normal.

i may be wrong here but i always thought "sealed for life" was talking about the life of the service interval because the consumer has no way to check or add to it.
i never thought it was the life of the transmission because everyone knows you get them serviced around the 100/150 mark.
Not quite, the expected life from a ZB was 140k or less. So in this case it's for the life of the whole vehicle.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
everyone knows you get them serviced around the 100/150 mark.
Hahaha, I know women who can‘t refuel their car ( it’s something for the hubbie to do ) ;)
Doubt such women would know anything about when something should be serviced (for longevity) as compared to due for service (according to the schedule) :p
i always thought "sealed for life" was talking about the life of the service interval because the consumer has no way to check or add to it.
Probably true.

It’s also probably true that length of warranty period = life of vehicle :rolleyes::p

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Hahaha, I know women who can‘t refuel their car

not just women these days lol

i have had a look at pictures of a fair few 150k service booklets on google images for the ve/vf and they pretty much all have it listed as a 150k service item.
i wonder how many people over the years got charged for that but never received it because how would they know.

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Most ZBs are already on their second transmission. So maybe when they service the trans they replace the whole thing and not just the oil and filter.

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
Not on the pages you've listed?
Ok on p13 change oil and filter has an astrix referring to additional servicing requirements. Changing the trans oil and filter every 75,000
is only required when not driving under normal driving conditions.
See#90.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Ok on p13 change oil and filter has an astrix referring to additional servicing requirements. Changing the trans oil and filter every 75,000
is only required when not driving under normal driving conditions.
See#90.
But then at 150k it's labelled, so there's nowhere it says 'sealed for life'?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
My service booklet for VE&WM states that these fluid changes are not required under normal driving conditions. Even the 150,000 one that you refer to is not required under normal driving condition

on page 13 in your pictures under the 150 column it has an x for change transmission fluid and filter.
this means it must be done at 150,000km

if you are reading the text above that which states "not required under normal driving conditions" that is in the "change final drive oil" row, it does not apply to the row below it.

Last edited: