Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High Km VE SS-V 6.0 Buying Advice needed thanks

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, S1 VE wagon SSV8
Makes you wonder whether it's a case of wanting a stupid price and not budging too much or is there something detracting from it with the asking price....
Yes, he first put it on for $28k. So like a lot of things, including houses as well, when you do that -ie, overprice an item and then slowly reduce the price, it loses interest in the market and just sits there. It's one of those unexplainable things that happens - just sits on the market and goes stale - people pass over it. I still think 20k, even 18k, is pretty high for the age and Km, but as noted, it does have some very good points. But as I said previously, whatever I pay, straight away have to bank on at least another $1500 disappearing with rego etc

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The 6L80E auto transmission put behind the V8’s is decently strong enough from what I’ve heard on here (mine is manual so can’t comment personally). They should have decent spare parts support too so a rebuild shouldn’t be that difficult if required down the track.

Modern auto transmissions don’t need any adjustments as it’s all taken care of by the computer and they mostly don’t use friction bands anymore, which is the main part that needed adjustment in older transmissions.

Realistically a 100,000km service interval is acceptable on a modern automatic transmission, although not desirable for the fastidious or on vehicles with high power output.

If you’re worried that much about the transmission then find out how much a rebuild is before you buy the car. At least that way you’re going in with eyes wide open on what it will cost you if the transmission does go pear shaped.
Thanks for that answer and the trans model number - good advice - I assume they all run clutches now, not bands. Yes I have already enquired about the reliability with a trans/diff place I know. He said most of the problems they see are the valve body which is all electronically controlled. I haven't asked about cost of rebuild but like someone else here said - allow at least $4k!! The auto trans is often neglected as it is hidden away. So just one service on this age car is not unusual, but not good in my book! It's not a grandpa car, I don't doubt from talking to him and what he's done to it, that it's been driven hard on more than one occasion. And as many here will know, when you buy a used car - the car often has a bit of a protest, a bit of a puke with having a new owner and things just seem to need doing.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Asking too much?
Yes I think so, I put this answer in a couple of posts - without repeating too much again, he started at $28k about 18 months ago, then slowly coming down. So I'd say it's gone a bit stale on the market. He reckons he has a lot more timewasters and scammers from FB M.Place than gumtree.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
sold our 08 auto ss with 82000kms on it all country kms new owner had trans rebuilt at 168k. unsure why he had to get it rebuilt but not a lot of kms on it.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
you want to pay $20k for a 15 year old car with 200k kms on it? Has our money lost that much value ? 15 years ago such a car was $5k with a roadworthy.
Exactly. Times and values have changed. But so has what you are getting for the money. Not just heaps of features and performance but increased potential headaches with the complicated and aging electronic systems. Eg, the owner told me that if the battery dies, you can't easily just open the rear door to get to it. You have to go through the back seat. Or try and charge it from the engine bay points. But of course, I don't WANT to pay that price, but have to look at the market and the desireability of this model and this particular car's features. There's no doubt these are a world class car (when running as they are supposed to and not a "lemon" version). I suppose the other way to think about it is - what was the price when new in 2008? The new price I see online was about $53,000+ ? So in today's money that's easily $63k to 67K.

People here are asking, Do I really want it? Well actually no. But I do want a better car than my aging and getting rusty VK. I want a wagon so I can carry bigger things around in the back - the V8 because it's more rugged and reliable than the V6 an so I can tow things easily. Being old skool, I would be more happy with a VL Commodore V8 wagon! Or a VX, VY or VZ V8 wagon. But there are so few good ones around for reasonable money. Esp in Perth. There's still quite a few VE wagons around at the moment.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Looks like a nice car. I think 20K is a premium price though. That said, if you reckon 10% loading in WA that takes it to 18K east coast. Mm, still a little pricey for a 200Km car. Not too worried about the engine (V8), but lets say a trans rebuild (good one) will be min 4k? Just looking at possible worst case scenario... it could be absolutely fine for many more Kms.

First point of call - a good quality inspection. Pay for it, its worth it. The boring things like struts, mounts etc etc all add up. If this checks out OK and they find nothing more than a few minor things then i'd consider offering 17K tops but preferably 15-16k.

Bottom line. Do you want it? If you really, really do then just get an inspection, and make your offer.
Thanks for the good post. All true. But I have looked up various pre-purchase inspection places and most of what they look at, I can do myself. No place will do a proper compression test, as that is seen as "dismantling someone else's car". I don't know anyone who knows this type of car and mechanicals. I suppose I can ring around the Holden service centres and see if anyone there will come out for a couple of hundred. That's feasible. Hopefully I can find someone who can give it a good drive and know what he's listening for and only if the owner agrees to that as well. But if he sees I'm keen and it's been on the market 18 months then I suppose he should.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
f the suspension hasn't been replaced already I can pretty much guarantee it will need doing. An inspection may not pick up on it though. I had two or three inspections at two different garages and neither place picked up on it.
It was only when I teared it apart that I found out it was either worn out or on its way out.
Thanks mate, yes that is my next concern after the trans - as he hasn't mentioned anything at all about suspension, and after 200k... well, it's a no-brainer. I don't want to be too critical but your post is a bit general. Saying "They didn't pick up on "it" and "it" was a bit worn out. But "it" is many different compenents that make up the suspension system. It's not just one thing that has to be replaced. There's all the bushings left and right, and struts, (L&R), sway bar stuff front and rear, ball joints and their seals left and right plus the rear links stuff, springs shocks etc etc. The suspension system encompasses a great deal of various things that wear out at different times.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
sold our 08 auto ss with 82000kms on it all country kms new owner had trans rebuilt at 168k. unsure why he had to get it rebuilt but not a lot of kms on
Thanks for the input! Interesting. But doesn't inspire confidence with me a bit worried about the trans haha. You didn't say how much you sold it for and when, or what you think about this price. 82,000km is very low indeed, very desireable.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just two quick questions before I head out. What was the diff ratio on these 6 litre 2008 SS-V wagons? My VK is 3:08 which I think is absolutely perfect for street driving and getting off the line, even towing. I have heard 2:92, which seems pretty tall for a car with an overdrive. I assume they are LSD, would have to be these days.

Second question is - are the front struts similar to what mine has (VK), McPherson struts? As mine have been no trouble after well over 300k Km. Pretty impressive. If the VE struts are just as reliable as that, it will be good. And can the struts be pulled down and reco'ed or are they one piece, throwaway unit and put a complete new one in? Thanks again.

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well they basically aren’t making V8’s for the common man anymore and the few expensive up market new models that still exist will be the last hurrah for the V8 due to ever tightening emissions regulations.

Under that environment they are going to be worth more to the people who still want them purely based on scarcity now and in the future.

If we were still making cheap V8’s I probably would look at upgrading my SSV in the near future but because there are no more “hand me downs” coming down the line that’s basically going to be impossible to do without stumping up a lot more money than you had to previously when those vehicles were still being made.
Good answer.