Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High Km VE SS-V 6.0 Buying Advice needed thanks

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
I'm not really comfortable with all this type of electrical and computer controlled convenience stuff. You can laugh if you want ( I don't mind) but this VK which I've had for 23 years or so, is the most modern car I've had, out of about 33 cars since 17 year old.
Ve's are a great car owned 5 over the years, but the electrics can be a pain. Day we picked up out VE SS sedan with 9k on it engine light came on(never again sold at 88k no issues) the ac flap acuator had to be replaced at like 40k

Ve berlina dual fuel had 250k on it when sold, did alternator at 150k and fuel pump at 220k. Once in a blue moon it woul crap it self and esp engine light would come on and run on 3 cyl just turn off restart all good no codes???

still have my VE SS ute from new only 36k on it all good apart from batterys and headlining has gone.

Ve calais 08 v6 esp light on all the time spent ages replacing things removing codes got better but still comes on everynow and then.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Yes but from what this fellow was telling me, if the battery dies the back door won't open (if it was locked) because of it's electrical locking mechanism. I think he said it happened to him, had to go through the back seat to open the rear door from the inside. Maybe that's something they fixed on the Series 2, but I'm pretty sure that's what he said. I said that I thought that was crazy, but he said that at least the front doors have a mechanical override with the key.

I'm not really comfortable with all this type of electrical and computer controlled convenience stuff. You can laugh if you want ( I don't mind) but this VK which I've had for 23 years or so, is the most modern car I've had, out of about 33 cars since 17 year old.

PS - thanks for the Utube clip - I actually have just discovered that ReDriven series and watched the review on the VE ute that he did. (225,000Km) I was interested to see the extra notes on their website about the VE Commodore - values, equipment levels, options and what to look for when buying etc.
Maybe he's right then... I used to have a VF Wagon (same shape as the VE, but a bit more modern) though I never had a battery issue during my time with it, though batteries are consumable and they go flat in all cars...

I completely understand that you're not comfortable with modern day computers in cars, as you've never owned anything fuel injected...

ReDriven is a great source for information, and I have also watched that VE SS review... One thing they failed to mention was the lifter issues that all LS engines (I know the 6 litre isn't named LS rather L98, L77, L76, etc) but it's pretty similar to LS engines...

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, S1 VE wagon SSV8
Ve's are a great car owned 5 over the years, but the electrics can be a pain. Day we picked up out VE SS sedan with 9k on it engine light came on(never again sold at 88k no issues) the ac flap acuator had to be replaced at like 40k

Ve berlina dual fuel had 250k on it when sold, did alternator at 150k and fuel pump at 220k. Once in a blue moon it woul crap it self and esp engine light would come on and run on 3 cyl just turn off restart all good no codes???

still have my VE SS ute from new only 36k on it all good apart from batterys and headlining has gone.

Ve calais 08 v6 esp light on all the time spent ages replacing things removing codes got better but still comes on everynow and then.
Hey - that's great to hear that type of first hand experience from owning so many. Good to know you're confident enough to keep buying them.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Is that common for this model?
Yes, especially if it’s normally parked out in the sun. Normally last about 8-10 years before needing replacement although it’s highly dependant on how much heat and sun it’s exposed as the foam backing disintegrates from the heat.

My old 2008 SV6 roof lining needed replacement after about 10 years but it was only parked in the sun on weekends and holidays (undercover at work).

My 2009 SSV roof lining was starting to fall away about a year after I got it, so 2021. Hopefully the new one lasts forever as it’s now undercover basically all the time as I have a carport now.

Reactions: Lex

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Buying any secondhand car (or secondhand anything else) will need to be approached with some care, especially if buying in the private market. As a car gains more mileage and age, more care is needed as the spread between the ‘good ones’ and the ‘bad ones’ widens too. You just have to take each individual car on it’s merits.

I don’t know if anyone else has noticed, but one item I’ve noticed that can be an indication of the car’s history is the condition of it’s number plate. I’ve seen many cars that have been involved in a bingle and have been repaired pretty well. But, for whatever reason, the crumpled up number plate it just hammered out flat and reinstalled back on the car. To me it just says ‘I’ve been crashed’.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I don’t know if anyone else has noticed, but one item I’ve noticed that can be an indication of the car’s history is the condition of it’s number plate. I’ve seen many cars that have been involved in a bingle and have been repaired pretty well. But, for whatever reason, the crumpled up number plate it just hammered out flat and reinstalled back on the car. To me it just says ‘I’ve been crashed’.
Great advice... I once went to go and inspect a car and the front number plate was bent upwards which pretty much gave away the fact that it was in a crash... In addition, the rear driver door wasn't flush with the body... This was all at a dealership as well and I just walked away, though somebody did end up buying it lol

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, S1 VE wagon SSV8
ReDriven is a great source for information, and I have also watched that VE SS review... One thing they failed to mention was the lifter issues that all LS engines (I know the 6 litre isn't named LS rather L98, L77, L76, etc) but it's pretty similar to LS engines...
Yes I picked that up as well - and I've only been researching the VE for a few months, so that was a bit disappointing the mechanic guy didn't mention it as that's a fairly major issue. As with most shows like that it's often 50/50 hype-presentation /facts & info. I've found the best car review videos to watch are from the actual owners themselves.

Anyway, end of the story is that I bought it - well put a small cash deposit and settled on $19,200. It was absolutely immaculate in every way, a few small scratches, but gunbarrel straight, never been in an accident and inside and out presented like a new car. Everything worked except AC was a bit low he said and rear door gas struts will soon need replacing. No biggie, have done my VK ones three times. New Potenza tyres, new window tint, new exhaust, spare tyre and rim all new (not the space saver type) new alternator, new injectors, been over pits inspection 18 months ago and only driven a 500km since. Headlining been done as it had sagged, as they do. Said it had never had any electrical issues except something with the key plus the new alternator

He didn't know few things which I was surprised about , from an enthusiast , eg didn't know the diff ratio or if it even had a dipstick for the transmission. We looked but couldn't see one. Me being an old skooler, I find a totally sealed auto trans pretty sad.

I'm aware the fuel pumps can go on these anytime after 150k. So may look into the cost of getting it done now.

But anyway, the seller was fantastic and can tell he was honest and straight - so for me with years of buying and selling car related things, sussing out the seller is just as important as sussing out the vehicle. So it wasn't important if I paid $500 or 1000 too much, I could see the one owner was totally dedicated to the car and upfront about everything I asked about.

Thanks for your constructive posts.

Last edited:

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Yes I picked that up as well - and I've only been researching the VE for a few months, so that was a bit disappointing the mechanic guy didn't mention it as that's a fairly major issue. As with most shows like that it's often 50/50 hype-presentation /facts & info. I've found the best car review videos to watch are from the actual owners themselves.

Anyway, end of the story is that I bought it - well put a small cash deposit and settled on $19,200. It was absolutely immaculate in every way, a few small scratches, but gunbarrel straight, never been in an accident and inside and out presented like a new car. Everything worked except AC was a bit low he said and rear door gas struts will soon need replacing. No biggie, have done my VK ones three times. New Potenza tyres, new window tint, new exhaust, spare tyre and rim all new (not the space saver type) new alternator, new injectors, been over pits inspection 18 months ago and only driven a 500km since. Headlining been done as it had sagged, as they do. Said it had never had any electrical issues except something with the key plus the new alternator

He didn't know few things which I was surprised about , from an enthusiast , eg didn't know the diff ratio or if it even had a dipstick for the transmission. We looked but couldn't see one. Me being an old skooler, I find a totally sealed auto trans pretty sad.

I'm aware the fuel pumps can go on these anytime after 150k. So may look into the cost of getting it done now.

But anyway, the seller was fantastic and can tell he was honest and straight - so for me with years of buying and selling car related things, sussing out the seller is just as important as sussing out the vehicle. So it wasn't important if I paid $500 or 1000 too much, I could see the one owner was totally dedicated to the car and upfront about everything I asked about.

Thanks for your constructive posts.
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to VE Commodore ownership... The seller seemed honest and upfront which is a rarity in today's day and age...

The sealed for life transmissions are BS and you should just service them every 40,000km if you drive it hard and 60,000km for normal driving... BTW, there is no dipstick on these 6spd automatics...

Otherwise, service it every 7-10,000km and this car should give you years of trouble free motoring, as you VK has...